Hal O’ the Wynd

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_In_Philly

Reaction score
This one has really grown on me. Initially I was rather underwhelmed. I didn't dislike it, I just found it bland and uninteresting. I revisited it recently while breaking in a couple new pipes and it seems my tastes have changed. Now, I find it sweet and flavorful. It burns well and doesn't bite at all. I noticed TR lists it as containing Kentucky and Perique in addition to the Va leaf, but I must admit, I only taste Va in the one. The stuff I have is jarred and is from 2007, so clearly my HOTW epiphany isn't due to its age, but I am interested in how much the age has influenced this one. I'll be ordering a couple of tins for comparison purposes shortly.

:cheers:

HOTW is my favourite. Checkmarks on "sweet and flavorful" and "not biting". And "burns well" while at it.

For me it was love at first smoke. Also, I love pairing it with a good Chinese green tea - makes me almost hear the bamboo leaves rustling in a gentle breeze. There's something in the taste of HOTW that I find almost flowery, although on other days (cold days?) I taste dried dates.

I'll stop huffing and puffing (well, not puffing!) now, I guess I've already made the point that I love this tobacco.

Hal is most certainly a pal of mine. :cheers: Glad it's growin' on ya, Dave.

8)

Rattrays Va's have a woody quality that I don't like. Wish I did, price and availability is great.

Having had the good fortune to have smoked many of their blends back when they were still blended in Scotland ( I still have some of the cutter top 4 oz empty tins with screws in 'em in my garage) I was reintroduced to 'em about two years ago and found them still some of the best available. They, like McClelland have a "way" with Red Va's that I like. HOW is good for sure, but my fave and one I still have on hand is Red Rapparee. Take HOW and add some nice smoky Orientals and you have a WONDERFULLY SMOOTH and TASTEY smoke :p

monbla256":3cbh0h7x said:
HOW is good for sure, but my fave and one I still have on hand is Red Rapparee. Take HOW and add some nice smoky Orientals and you have a WONDERFULLY SMOOTH and TASTEY smoke :p
And I am adding this to my to-try list. Thank you!

HOTW was always one of my Rattys go-to's back about 10 yrs ago. Need to re-visit this weed.

Have a bunch of them I liked - Red Rap (and the current version is a pretty good match IMO), Black Mallory, Accountants Mixture, Old Gowrie, and a few I can't remember just now.

Still have some old tins I need to open. Age has probably been kind I'm hoping.

:cyclops:

Cheers,

RR

I love HOTW, wish it had more Perique in it but it's damn fine just as it is.

Kirk Fitzgerald":1k9buoft said:
I love HOTW, wish it had more Perique in it but it's damn fine just as it is.
For me, HOTW has the perfect amont of perique. As much as I like Marlin Flake, that blend is somewhat deficient in it, whereas I feel that it's too present in Escudo.

Storm_Crow":kez3dcow said:
For me, HOTW has the perfect amont of perique. As much as I like Marlin Flake, that blend is somewhat deficient in it, whereas I feel that it's too present in Escudo.
Very "this."

Rattray's, so far, is the only blender whose use of Perique is something that I can not only tolerate, but enjoy. :cheers:

Kyle Weiss":yz1cd6zw said:
Rattray's, so far, is the only blender whose use of Perique is something that I can not only tolerate, but enjoy.   :cheers: 
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

borg.jpg

alien.gif

Cheers,

RR

Ya know I never saw the Borg as perique smokers. Funny how ya can just get a completely wrong read on a group of cybernetic organisms.

GeoffC":md449ox9 said:
Just stopped by PipeAndLeaf and picked up 100g.  Looks like it will be right up my alley.  Never tried it before.
With 100g you find out soon enough!

Storm_Crow":vbzsi6xp said:
Ya know I never saw the Borg as perique smokers. Funny how ya can just get a completely wrong read on a group of cybernetic organisms.
You stole my post. :cheers:

Great minds think alike. In my case "special" might be a more accurate descriptor however. :joker: 

So cracked this open yesterday and smoked it today. I find it pretty easy to light. Flavor was all low-notes and not jump up to scream, "look at me!" I found it to be a great full virginia and the perique did not stand out. I actually prefer this to FVF. Going to make this my new morning smoke.

I actually enjoy Hal o'the Wynd. I am kind of regretting trading a tin of Dunhill Nightcap for it to a friend. Really, I wish it came in the 50g tins.

I have heard people say that it has a bad nicotine kick to it. I don't think so and I'm kind of a lightweight. I find it makes a cool, bright, all day smoke!