Hallooo from NW Minnesota

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArleighBerg

Reaction score
New to forum, new to pipes - about 4 months. I'm completely consumed by tobbacania which is weird being a lifelong non-smoker and general anti-cigarette person. Love it, love it, love it.

Slowly growing my pipe collection, finally up to a one week rotation of pipes. I am liking English tobacco blends, learning to really love Virginias and seem to be partial to lats as well. Had my first aged VA flake a couple of weeks ago and thought it was excellent. I prefer my pipe with a glass of good bourbon or 12+ year scotch.

Cheers!

Welcome to the Forum. You have picked a good place. I have been pipe smoking off and on since I was twenty. Liked the smell of latakia. Never smoked otherwise. What brought you to this fine pursuit? Happy puffing. :D

loneredtree":94rbb758 said:
Welcome to the Forum. You have picked a good place. I have been pipe smoking off and on since I was twenty. Liked the smell of latakia. Never smoked otherwise. What brought you to this fine pursuit? Happy puffing. :D
Like many current pipe smokers, I have memories of family members' pipes. In my case it was my father, who I recall having pipes and tobacco but it was so long ago that I can't recall him actually smoking them. I loved the smell of them and would sneak up to his room and pipe rack to hold and smell them all the time. He stopped smoking when I was very young.

Fast forward to present time, and I have been intrigued by pipes for some time. I just knew that I'd like it, and figured I'd pick up a pipe some time. My online research began in more earnest around late fall 2011, and I did a little learning. My town no longer has a decent smoke shop so one night when I was out I stopped by the closest thing we have and bought a Dr. Grabow straight billiard and some Borkum Riff Whiskey (I recall my dad smoking this). I didn't have a tamper or a clue about packing - so the first smoke went out constantly. I didn't understand pacing so the next few smokes were very hot, fast, and gurgly.

Eventually I found Pipes & Cigars and bought a decent Nording, some 965 match bulk, and a tamping tool. The pipe and tobacco showed up at my office and I was deep into a 36 hour mad scramble to get a project out the door. Virtually no sleep or food and my stomach was doing flipflops - then I opened the package and smelled the heavy Latakia and just about barfed. Late in the evening I took a break and packed a partial first bowl in the new pipe and was surprised that while the smell about knocked me over, the smoke was wonderful.

And so it continues.

Welcome to the forums! I hope you continue to enjoy the pipes and your time here

"T"

Welcome to the Brotherhood.

Like you, I have pipe-related memories from my childhood. My dad smoked Captain Black White for more years than I can remember. My grandfather rotated between Middleton's Cherry Blend and Prince Albert. So, this kind-of fell in place for me too.