Hand-cut stem advice needed.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogjunk

Reaction score
All of my pipes thus far I've made with pre-cut/factory stems. I would like to start making my own. I do not have a lathe. Is this possible? Any advice? Thanks!

It is very possible! I do it all the time!

It's really not as hard as you think it is. I use delrin tenons to insert into whatever stem material I use and then just go to town. I shape my stems with only files and sandpaper and have had pretty good success.

Ocelot55":zartu4ir said:
It is very possible! I do it all the time!

It's really not as hard as you think it is. I use delrin tenons to insert into whatever stem material I use and then just go to town. I shape my stems with only files and sandpaper and have had pretty good success.
What he said! The lathe only makes it faster.

You know, I simply shoved the tenon part of a pre-molded stem into the chuck of a clamped drill, and voila, instant "lathe." Worked pretty well, didn't break nothin'. Worked even better when I put a folded piece of sand paper (so the grit was both gripping at the drill chuck and on the material of the tenon).

I assume if you can simply work down enough of a "nub" on a block of acrylic/vulcanite and start turning it in a similar manner, you can get most of the shape knocked out. Gotta be gentle, though. Another option would be a temporary bit to clamp a drill down on (pilot hole, put some kind of bolt/rod/etc in there--making sure it's straight as can be) and do the same.

All you gotta do is get the material spinning the right way. Ghetto-tech or not.

8)

If you have a drill press, or a jig for your hand drill, get some delrin. I use it...for now...it works well. Drill a hole in your rod stock the same size as the delrin you have. Score both, epoxy in place and then drill your airway. After that, go crazy shaping by whatever means you have...

HAHAHAHAHA....I should have read Ocelot's response thoroughly...I don't like to repeat myself, but repeating other people I really don't have a problem with :D

scotties22":3j2ukiq1 said:
Uber, that pipe looks new.......first smoke in it???
Lol! Yeah, it's pretty new. Just finished it the other day. Sheesh, you'd think I hadn't told anyone! :lol: :p ;)

Hand cut stems are definitely the way to go and following the advice that everyone has posted here will get you well on your way.