Happy Thanksgiving ! Eh.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al in Canada

Reaction score
Dear fellow brethren of the briar,

This is Thanksgiving in Canada. Much the same celebrations as in the US, only earlier as fitting a harvest festival, and before the snow flies in a serious manner in the majority of the populated areas.

The actual holiday is on Monday, which makes for a very logical three day weekend, not the odd set-up of a mid week holiday, which by default stretches into an unofficial four day weekend.

food is much as one would expect, Turkey and dressing, cranberries, etc. even the dreaded pumpkin (squash) pie which every one pretends to like, even though it only exists because the early gardener had to do something with all those squash, which did not store as well as the more popular fruits like apples. I mean what person in their right mind would prefer "pumpkin" pie to an apple pie? :scratch: But pumpkin, like other squash, say zucchini produce so much and you have to do something with it.
It would seem a shame to raise it so successfully and then just let it go to waste. I mean the movement to mutilate some of the pumpkins and put candles in them to make Halloween decorations only worked momentarily to relieve the problem. Instead of taking up the excess it led to the planting and marketing of even more pumpkins just for making jack 'o' lanterns! :affraid:

the other differences between the Us and Canadian traditions is no overdose on football and no pre-Christmas sales. Without the commercial emphasis you can think more of the Norman Rockwell vision of the family gathered around the dinner table with the bird as the centre-piece,http://www.fanpop.com/spots/thanksgiving/images/2927689/title/norman-rockwell-thanksgiving-photo

although some families manage to slid over to a Gahan Wilson version.

Catch up with you all after the weekend ( a few pounds from now) :lol!:
Al

Today I am thankful to be in good health and have good friendships.
I am thankful to have a loving family that I can share my ups and downs with.
I am thankful to be gainfully employed at a job that I somewhat still enjoy.
Today I am most thankful that I got me some FVF and SL before it was too late! :bounce:

All the best this weekend to everyone and a Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians!

Enjoy your day, doesn't matter when it is, a day set aside to be thankful is special

Sounds like your Thanksgiving would be more to my likeing than mine. God bless. Enjoy your day!

I'm glad ours comes later in the year. Sunny 85 degrees here, not exactly turkey-in-the-oven kinda day.....

Yep.... gotta find Planes, Trains and Automobiles ..., some channel must be showing it this weekend... the Canuk connection is John Candy :D

We'll have most of our family over...

Happy Thanksgiving to my brothers to the north!! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of the year... second only to Christmas!!! :D

Robert