Hardwood plugging a cob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huffelpuff

Reaction score
So I figured I'd put this here for everybody to consider. I love cobs. I don't love unplugged cobs though. The pith is easily damaged and can get really funky really fast. So here is how I plug a cob using minimal tools. If I can do it so can you!!!!

First I remove the sticker to be replaced later. Then I use a small knife blade to remove the pith from the bottom of the cob. I then sand out the hole to a half inch. I notch the top of the dowel to make a draft hole. Yes I removed the stem material inside the cob. I find the solid base lasts much longer than the stem ever will. I cut the plug so the draft hole in the cob lines up with the channel I cut in the plug. Put glue on the plug and carefully shove it in place. Then you can replace the sticker over the newly plugged bottom. Tools used a small knife, a battery powered dremel type tool a small saw blade. Nothing major used at all.

Thank you sir. Best part is it only takes about a half hour and minimal tools to keep your cob going strong for many years.

Jim