Has anyone heard???

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefBull

Reaction score
Might be dating myself here.
Has anyone heard of Schermerhorn's 'Crushed Plug' [came foil wrapped in a dark mustard yellow packaged box]
My Da' introduced me to pipes at the age of 17 and his favorite 'go to' tobacco was Schermerhorn's 'Cruhed Plug'.
It was a cube cut Burley that I really learned to like, and remained a favorite of mine all the way through two VietNam tours and beyond. Kind of lost track of it; was on liberty one day in downtown Providence/ Rhode Island and spotted it in a tobacco shop [since gone] and bought a couple of ounces. Can't find it anymore. Any 'tobacco genealogists'? here?

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

ChiefBull":49xn73x3 said:
Might be dating myself here.
Has anyone heard of Schermerhorn's 'Crushed Plug' [came foil wrapped in a dark mustard yellow packaged box]
My Da' introduced me to pipes at the age of 17 and his favorite 'go to' tobacco was Schermerhorn's 'Cruhed Plug'.
It was a cube cut Burley that I really learned to like, and remained a favorite of mine all the way through two  VietNam tours and beyond.  Kind of lost track of it; was on liberty one day in downtown Providence/ Rhode Island and spotted it in a tobacco shop [since gone] and bought a couple of ounces.  Can't find it anymore.  Any 'tobacco genealogists'? here?

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull
I found this but, there out of stock and it won't allow me to paste the link.

a34e88dfa73121035ff750b32665.jpg

I've never seen the Crushed Plug but do have an old box/pouch of Schermerhorn's Flake Mixture that is unopened. Probably dry as dirt and the reviews on tobaccoreviews.com are not very complimentary. LOL

Schermerhorn's Flake. Oof. It was my first non-aromatic, and almost put me off of pipe smoking. It was like smoking cinnamon-dusted confetti that had been coated in napalm.

Never had the burley/bestoval/crushed plug, though.

You gotit' boyo
'BestOval' that's the Yellow
Never knew it came in a jar though
The 'Flake'? yes I know what you mean.
The guy who sold me my first pipe [Rex Landon he and Da' were at Nomandy together], blended the 'Flake' a little of it with the 'Crushed plug' and Brite. Never let on to the proprotions but boy oh boy did it really smoke nice, smooth on the tongue, and nice to the nose.
Must do some more digging.

Anchor's Aweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

Fr_Tom as in "...Dominus Vobiscum..." Fr_Tom?

Our outfit had a chaplain at the base where we were at 'over there' and they passed the word one Sunday
"...Catholic chaplain...blah blah... office 226..will be hearing.... for Mass"
Walked in and "whaddya' know Jo???" the guy was the Assistant Pastor [at my parish] when I was a kid, became a USN Airdale and was transferred to our area in VietNam! He looked up: "...Andy Bullard!!!.... hey ya' got anything to tell me....?"
What a hoot! "Sir" gets even whenya' least expect it.

Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

Last produced by the late House of Windsor.  Gone, along with another F C & G blend, Brindley's Mixture. :cry: 

CACooper

ChiefBull":g56ce43u said:
Fr_Tom as in "...Dominus Vobiscum..." Fr_Tom?

ChiefBull
That would be another Fr_Tom I suspect. I have not been called that yet (pretty sure).

I hail from the other side of the Tiber. My Roman brothers meet me in the middle for a cigar from time to time...

"Different Diocese" Father; that's way cool

Keep it a secret, okay??
I go to temple this time of Year to celebrate Channuka [?sp?] figure "Sir" understands.
and then MidnightMass.

Tagged the link you sent: "Eye'm lovin it" good stuff that's pretty much it.
Oh yes and bye the bye, my first 'Hardcastle' [actually the 2nd by 50 years] came in today by registered mail.
Be still the beatings of my heart.......!,
It has all the simple [good honest English]beauty I remember from the my first one.
Loving Hardcastles is kinda' like the dust up between Harley riders and Indian riders; the "Indian" guys think the Harley guys are "...scum of the earth..." and the Harley guys?!..... well there's obscenity and "public decency standards" ya' know?!
Will break this fellow in gently with a pinch of 'cube cut Burley'. I've found the best way to smoke it is just a small pinch rubbed up a bit and packed if anything 'ethereally' with just a small tip of the match just enough to get it embered ever so slightly. Let Newton's natural laws of physics do the rest and enjoy.

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull
ps: come over Christmas day: beef and Barley soup, "Auld English roast beef", Yorkshire puddin', flaming Christmas plum puddin', Lancashire kracknels, Essex shortbreads, vintage Ale [actually a Belgian triple with clove] and aged Port and a good honest Stilton.
Then the back porch and solarium and a bowl of something, probably 'Presbyterian'