Has anyone tried Heine's Blend from Sutliffs?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralphmcculley

Reaction score
I purchased a tub of Sutliffs Heine's Blend about two years ago. I opened it last year and I'm about half way through the tub. It's a little close to Edgeworth match in regards to cut and the base casing. But the topping is beautiful. Some people say citrus and or pineapple but I don't get any of that. I get like a maple sugar and molasses flavor, very lightly applied. It tastes good and the room note seems like a sweet woody and baked sugar cookie aroma, with the typical old fashioned burley essence. I'm thinking of picking up another tub to cellar. I did notice that when I shine my pen light in the tub the plug tobaccos actually have crystals that glitter in the light.

Unless they changed it the last four or five years, it did have a lemon and pineapple topping. I know this because Sutliff's blender for 37 years, Carl McAllister, who retired in 2015, told me so when I originally reviewed it in 2014. It had a light touch of coumarin as well.

Try it in a cob if you haven't already. I really like how that works.

Last edited:
Unless they changed it the last four or five years, it did have a lemon and pineapple topping. I know this because Sutliff's blender for 37 years, Carl McAllister, who retired in 2015, told me so when I originally reviewed it in 2014. It had a light touch of coumarin as well.

Try it in a cob if you haven't already. I really like how that works.
I know when chef's make dishes they add ingredients to make them taste like something else than what the ingredients actually are. I'm sure the blenders do the same thing with tobacco. I did smoke it in a cob a lot of times and I just don't taste any pineapple. To be honest Jim, I don't know what I'm really tasting lol. You have a phenomenal taster and can pick out many essences and flavors. Before I even think about purchasing a pipe tobacco I look up your review.

I know when chef's make dishes they add ingredients to make them taste like something else than what the ingredients actually are. I'm sure the blenders do the same thing with tobacco. I did smoke it in a cob a lot of times and I just don't taste any pineapple. To be honest Jim, I don't know what I'm really tasting lol. You have a phenomenal taster and can pick out many essences and flavors. Before I even think about purchasing a pipe tobacco I look up your review.
Thanks for the compliment. I'm pleased my reviews help you.

Try cleansing your palate before smoking a bowl. Apples and ice cold water are great for that. Then, smoke something you are familiar with that has a flavor(ing) that you know is there, and see what you notice.

Well said ralph so true , I have learnt a lot off Jim also on appreciation of flavours and the smoking experience. Not pissing in his pocket but his blood's worth bottleing.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm pleased my reviews help you.

Try cleansing your palate before smoking a bowl. Apples and ice cold water are great for that. Then, smoke something you are familiar with that has a flavor(ing) that you know is there, and see what you notice.
Thank you for the advice Jim. I will try the apples then smoke some Classic Burley Kake. That is beautiful and well blended tobacco.