Has Anyone Tried MacBaren HH Acadian Perique?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess nobody here tried it yet,here is a review;

This is my current go-to tobacco. It comes is a 100g tin, to the high price on the back belies the actual value that you are getting with this.
It smells like fresh black raisins in the tin, and may be a bit moist on the first day you open it - but only a little.

It lights easily and yields a first impression of mellow Virginia off set by a peppery low note of Louisiana's cool wet dirt as the Perique has its say. The subtle influence of the orientals defines this as a superlative and complex smoke that keeps me coming back for more.

It is another of those tobaccos that has its finest moments near the end of the bowl where the perique's rich flavor descends into cigar-like depths which are tied by the medium body of virginia and the ashy crisp edge of the burley into a singular experience where that pipe smoker's moment of transcendence occurs. This moment is sustained over the last 15 minutes of the bowl until you discover with sadness that your pipe is done. It leaves you like the sound of a freight train long in passing and having now passed - your head swims for the absence of a sound you had forgotten was there.

I really enjoy this one and would love to find more in this range. I am reminded of my old forgotten favorite - King Fisher.

Winslow :sunny:

Very informative review. Now, I guess I have to buy a tin or two!

Folks have been raving about this new issue, and it certainly sounds like it is worth a try. I am sure others will weigh in on the matter in due course.

I just finished talking with the MacBaren Rep,Gene Thompson about this blend.
I was trying to get samples sent to our guys who want to try it,but due to all the
new laws and FDA control of tobacco,MacBaren doesn't want to send samples anymore.He
did tell me if you want some buy it now,that was a limited production run and it
won't be widely available for 6-9 months.He said if I could get into Chicago he'd
arrange for Iwan Ries to give me a few tins free to pass out here.I told him that
I might be able to do that soon.
Smokingpipes has this in stock,but not for long I imagine. :eek:

I have been smoking a lot of this the past week, its very good! didnt know this was a limited run.

MacBaren Rep. told me if I wanted to get some and hand out samples
to the BoB Forum he would take care of me at the Chicago Pipe Show
when I see him again in May.I'll make a new topic post when I get around
to sending samples.