Has This Ever Happened to You?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storm_Crow

Reaction score
So I had an old jar of highly aromatic Signature which I haven't smoked in awhile, and I needed a jar for my Stormfront. So, I put the Signature in another container and filled the jar with the Stormfront. I didn't figure that a jar would absorb an aromatic's smell. Anyway, every time I opened the jar of Stormfront I would smell Signature which was a bit off putting since I was opening SF looking for a meaty burley/ cigar leaf, not a fruity blend. I further began to think I was tasting a bit of the Signature in the SF too, but felt this must be my imagination.

After a couple weeks, I transferred the Stormfront into a clean jar, but noticed the smell remained, so clearly the aromatic agent of signature really has impregnated my SF.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

It is possible signiture left a light film scent on the glass jar (did you wipe it out prior to putting Stormfront in it?

Most likey alot of the flavor was transfered from the lid seal, as in any jar lid you re-use can do,

That is why I only re-use jelly or Honey jar lids, No pickle tainted tobacco for me, very strong flavors will remain in the seals of jar lids.

I want to second the point that the rubber seal soaks up flavors.

When I've emptied a jar and am washing it to use again, I soak those lids with convex seals in hot water, which makes then less convex. Some of the rubber seals remain damaged after doing so, and those lids are discarded.

In doing this I also eliminate residual odor, but then again I don't smoke aromatics.

R.A.":an20zmny said:
It is possible signiture left a light film scent on the glass jar (did you wipe it out prior to putting Stormfront in it?

Most likey alot of the flavor was transfered from the lid seal, as in any jar lid you re-use can do,

That is why I only re-use jelly or Honey jar lids, No pickle tainted tobacco for me, very strong flavors will remain in the seals of jar lids.
Hmmmmm.... Blackpool with a note of dill pickle. I'll pass. :)

alfredo_buscatti":742tlh1a said:
I want to second the point that the rubber seal soaks up flavors.

When I've emptied a jar and am washing it to use again, I soak those lids with convex seals in hot water, which makes then less convex. Some of the rubber seals remain damaged after doing so, and those lids are discarded.

In doing this I also eliminate residual odor, but then again I don't smoke aromatics.
Third the seals. I always get new mason jar seals when putting tobacco in used jars, it's really inexpensive and you ensure protection of the original flavor.