Hatfield & McCoy Devil Anse

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just finished up a pipe for a customer and wanted to give you a look. I've had a lot of requests for the Devil Anse pipe that was somewhat recently shown on the Kevin Costner miniseries Hatfields & McCoys. I have this theory that the pipe is actually longer than it looks, because I think he's one of those guys who tucks the stem way back in his back teeth. So, I've always made the stem a bit longer.

Recently, a customer asked me to make it with a short stem, so I created a Devil Anse Nosewarmer. I really like the way it turned out. Take a look.

img_0589-copy.jpg

img_0590-copy.jpg

img_0591-copy.jpg

img_0592-copy.jpg

By the way, it's only 4" long.

Thanks for looking.

Brian.

I agree with you brian.. very nice pipe.. the mouthpiece could/should be a bit longer, but depending on the customer if it is what they wanted it's perfect...

besides the opinion part.. very very nice execution

james

I like the canted bowl, and that patch of birdseye on the back of it. Nice pipe.

I wasn't too enamored with the pipe on the show or ones made to duplicate that style, but yours looks wonderful. I like the proportions and bet you'll have one happy customer! Any idea what it weighs?

riff raff":0gtzgf2h said:
I wasn't too enamored with the pipe on the show or ones made to duplicate that style, but yours looks wonderful. I like the proportions and bet you'll have one happy customer! Any idea what it weighs?
I agree with you completely. I didn't "love" the pipe on the show. This one weighed in at 1.4 oz.

Great looking pipe. I love the one Mr. Todd Harris made for me. Equipped with a rubber bit protector, I find it to be a great out-and-about pipe, which is what I bought it for. The story behind the choice of this pipe for the movie would be interesting, at least to a pipe nut, if there are any around. Obviously a corncob would have been too corny a choice for Mr. Costner's role. I wonder if he's a knowledgeable pipester or if they hired a consultant. If so, who? I'm not sure, but I think they hired Rick Hacker for Inglorious Bastards--you know, the meerschaum-smoking Nazi bad guy? Strange, but I have seen neither movie.

Lovely pipe. I have to admit, being unfamiliar with this particular shape, I had to double-take when I saw the name. Something unseemly about the idea of smoking a Devil's arse. Chalk it up to my being a neophyte. Beautifully executed.

Very nicely done, sir. You'll certainly have a happy customer with that one!

Trifecta13":eniu28oz said:
Lovely pipe. I have to admit, being unfamiliar with this particular shape, I had to double-take when I saw the name. Something unseemly about the idea of smoking a Devil's arse. Chalk it up to my being a neophyte. Beautifully executed.
It's DEVIL ANSE not Devil's arse :twisted:

Anse \a-

nse, an-se\ as a boy's name is a variant of Anselm (Old German), and the meaning of Anse is "God's helmet".

William Anderson "Devil Anse" Hatfield (September 9, 1839 –January 6, 1921) was the patriarch of the Hatfield clan during the infamous Hatfield–McCoy feud which has since formed a part of American folklore. Devil Anse himself survived the feud and agreed to end the feud in 1891.

There are a number of stories about the origin of his nickname, "Devil Anse": that it was given to him by his mother or by Randolph McCoy, or earned from his bravery during battle in the American Civil War, or as contrast to his good-tempered cousin, Anderson "Preacher Anse" Hatfield.

monbla256":fvf8mj97 said:
Trifecta13":fvf8mj97 said:
It's DEVIL ANSE not Devil's arse :twisted:
That cracked me up.

Haha. Yes, that was my point about the double take. It was my pre-double take misreading that I meant seemed unseemly. Glad I could bring a smile and a stray chuckle though.