Quantcast
  • ~ How to Use the New Software ~

Try logging in and if it is not accepting your password,, look to the bottom right corner of page for Contact Us and send a message.

Haunted Bookshop Review

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

JJPHOTO

Reaction score
Being a noob I feel competely unqualified to give my opinion on a tobacco, but since I was asked in another thread...

This was one of the best if not THE best smoke I've had since picking up a pipe (which hasn't been long mind you). I tried the Haddo's Delight last night and didn't find the appeal in it at all. It reminded me of the time back when I smoked cigs and I found a half of a pack in a coat from months prior and tried to smoke it. Flavorless, weak, stale - all things I didn't expect from the reviews I've read of Haddo's. I'll give it another try just to be sure, but I may be passing it along to another brother.

I smoked it in a brand new cob that I've set aside as my tester for Burley blends. When lit it produced a massive amount of rich smoke - didn't think I'd have to even relight after the initial light, but after a couple minutes I did. This reminds me a lot of the Puros Indios cigars I used to smoke back in the day. Nice, rich, beautiful full flavor with a subtle little pepper to it, which I assume is perique? Every once in a while there would be just the slightest sweetness come through, but not in an overpowering or dominating way.

I wound up getting it too hot because I couldn't make myself slow down on it because I was enjoying it so much. If you get it too hot, it starts to really kick ya. Not in a tongue bite sort of way, but really changes flavor and gets pretty harsh. I let it cool down for a bit and relit and finished off the bowl completely happy.

Left almost no dottle in the bottom when I finished. Definitely left an aftertaste like I used to get when smoking cigars, but not in a bad way. I smoke non-aromatics outside so I'm not sure on the room note.

Haunted Bookshop is definitely a keeper for me. Next order I place, I'll be getting some extras to stick away in the cellar while I explore more blends.

Keep in mind, I'm still really new so take this all with a grain of salt. Thanks to all who recommended this blend to me.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
Thanks for the review! I have been on the fence about trying this blend... I am not a huge burley fan.. I do like vapers... Kinda looking for a new all day smoke... So, I decided to put some Haunted Bookshop on my wish list. I am looking forward to trying this blend -- from what I hear, it is fairly easy to keep lit, which would do well when I am puffing away on some backwater trout stream. Or driving. Or sitting and contemplating the vastness of infinity. Thanks again and enjoy that new Peterson!

Hermit

Reaction score
I love C&D Bur/VA/Pers!
I believe I like Old Joe Krantz a little bit more than HB. (just added a pound to the cellar)
Three Friars is another great blend.

JJPHOTO

Reaction score
Will make sure to try those other blends as well Hermit.

And Trout - yes it stays lit extremely well which would make it a great choice when working, fishing, etc. Just don't get it too hot. Mouth is a little sore today I think from the HB yesterday.

A

Anonymous

Just popped a can of HB Tuesday and smoked the first bowl on the drive home last night. I liked it, for some reason I sensed a bit of Walnut (please don't throw anything at me). Now I admit that I'm not that knowledgeable on the different tobaccos but there was a similarity both in aroma when I opened the can and in the smoke to something in Walnut (what do you think JP?). I thought the smoke would be stronger than it was from the aroma of the can, but I found it (pleasently) surprisingly mild. I'm going to have it again tonight in my new Tinsky #4 Author. I think I like it.
:pipe: on Brothers!

Muddler

Reaction score
For me, HB is an archetype of what Burley blends are all about. I prefer it to OJK - it's just that much smoother. Think I'll light up a bowl right now.

Don't give up on Haddo's - it is a great tobacco. Yours might be very dry or something but HD is NOT bland. It packs a real perique kick.

JJPHOTO

Reaction score
I've tried OJK now and I prefer the HB to it as well - very smooth like you said. I've got my Haddo's aging so I'll revisit it later on... supposed to only get better with age!

smokey422

Reaction score
Thanks for the great review, JJ, HB is one of my favorites, too. Give that Haddo's some time and I think you'll notice an improvement.

Smokey

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
For my tastes (and others), Haddos needs at least 2 years of age before its ready to smoke. Cellar some and try again later.

Justpipes

Reaction score
EJinVA":t83rjz4b said:
Just popped a can of HB Tuesday and smoked the first bowl on the drive home last night. I liked it, for some reason I sensed a bit of Walnut (please don't throw anything at me). Now I admit that I'm not that knowledgeable on the different tobaccos but there was a similarity both in aroma when I opened the can and in the smoke to something in Walnut (what do you think JP?). I thought the smoke would be stronger than it was from the aroma of the can, but I found it (pleasently) surprisingly mild. I'm going to have it again tonight in my new Tinsky #4 Author. I think I like it.
:pipe: on Brothers!
I have not tried HB but there is another C&D blend, Barrister that is very similar to Walnut in those respects. Of course what else would you expect from a high grade blender like C&D! :D

A

Anonymous

I had another bowl of HB last night and it has mellowed some since I opened it two months ago, very nice smoke. JP, I'll bring this tin on the NY trip so you can have a go at it.

Justpipes

Reaction score
EJinVA":z9o0ozhs said:
I had another bowl of HB last night and it has mellowed some since I opened it two months ago, very nice smoke. JP, I'll bring this tin on the NY trip so you can have a go at it.
I will be looking forward to that EJ! I have been wanting to try it.