Have I got a tobacco IED?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alandadp

Reaction score
Whilst in the USA in April, I picked up a 2oz tin of GL Pease's Triple Play (among others) date on bottom was 010614.
While rearranging my little cellar yesterday I noticed that the top and bottom of the can were bowed out and wouldn't push back in.
I have heard (on this site and others) that this can happen with cellared tobaccos as it matures and ferments but this is only 6 months old.
Should I be concerned or delighted and should I pop it now or let it carry on and hope it doesn't explode?
None of my other american tins have done this yet.
Any thoughts or advise would be gratefully recieved.

Adam

Well, I certainly don't have any answers for you on why this tin would ferment so quickly but, if it were mine I'd drill a small hole somewhere safe on the tin to relive the pressure and then just tape it and set it aside. But I reckon you could crack it open to inspect it and then just jar it up. I would certainly not want it exploding in my cellar.  ;) 

I've heard of this before with Triple Play, that is one heck of a superb blend you got right there which ages superbly by all accounts, if the bulging is so extreme it is causing you to worry them pop the tin and put it in a Kilner jar. Some folk will try telling you this will stop the ageing process but that simply isn't true, it will change how the tobacco ages but not necessarily in a bad way so long as the environment you re-seal the tobacco in is clean enough and you have clean hands. Don't what ever you do go any where near it if you have had any bread or yeasty stuff in your hands on that day, not without thoroughly cleaning your hands first, the baccy 'will' mould on you otherwise.

Did the tin get on a plane with you? That would explain the quick bulging..

DrumsAndBeer":kr4y3m6y said:
Did the tin get on a plane with you? That would explain the quick bulging..
Yes it did but so did half a dozen others and they haven't changed. They were all in the hold (unpressurised).
The thing is, the can is still under pressure now, I can put all my considerable weight on the bottom of the can and can't push it in, any effects of the flight would only have been temporary wouldn't they?

Adam

Adam, I'd just open it and jar it up if it were me. You'll be able to tell right away if there is something dodgy going on with it from the looks and aroma.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":y4z8n1yx said:
Adam, I'd just open it and jar it up if it were me. You'll be able to tell right away if there is something dodgy going on with it from the looks and aroma.

Cheers,

RR
I second this. If the tin shows signs of being compromised, best course of action is to jar it.

fsu92john":etw655co said:
Brewdude":etw655co said:

Cheers,

RR
I second this. If the tin shows signs of being compromised, best course of action is to jar it.
This is wise counsel, but take a picture first and post it. This is one of those tobacco cellar oddities that needs to be documented.

Adam, as long as the seal is intact it should be just fine. If you're worried about it giving way then open it up and jar it. I had a tin from '63 that was very swollen like that and it was just fine. If you pop the seal though make sure you have something between the tin and your face. You don't need tobacco particles to get in your eyes. Been there. It's not fun.

Best of luck with this
Jim

Fr_Tom":t6nqg5pp said:
This is wise counsel, but take a picture first and post it. This is one of those tobacco cellar oddities that needs to be documented.
Thanks Father Tom  :evil: 
Tried many times and many different ways to photograph the tin so as to show the bowing but my camera has the annoying habit of 'flattening' the image so it's not obvious.
The best I could do was to show the effect of the problem.
The top picture below shows a normal tin sitting on the lid of another, nice and flat.
The bottom picture shows the problem tin on top of a flat lid and there, I think you can see that the bottom of the Triple Play tin is far from flat!
Hope this helps.

alandadp":bxvy8003 said:
any effects of the flight would only have been temporary wouldn't they?

Adam
Adam,

When packages are sealed at a lower altitude and taken to a higher altitude the package will swell and seek to release the higher pressure within into the lower pressure atmosphere. Of course that tin has a solid seal and with no where for the air in it to go, it will be bulging until you pop that baby.

Popped the tin and jarred the contents. Quite an impressive woosh but no expulsion of tobacco. The 'lump' of Triple Play looks and smells fine so hopefully will now age well.
Thanks for all the advice.

Adam

alandadp":nf2pb9ob said:
Popped the tin and jarred the contents. Quite an impressive woosh but no expulsion of tobacco. The 'lump' of Triple Play looks and smells fine so hopefully will now age well.
Thanks for all the advice.

Adam
Well there ya go then!

Cheers,

RR

I had a tin of TP that was exceedingly swollen. Tobacco was fine but when I opened it the lid damn near flew up into my hand. My advice to those in the future, open the lid with a dish towel or similar to protect your hand from a good cut. I know it's probably a long shot but I think if the can is swollen enough the lid could come up quickly and get you. My Two cents.

Just out of curiosity Adam, did the tin go back to its normal shape after you popped the lid? I'm just wondering if it was deformed from the pressure, or just swelled from the internal force,
Mike.