Health Care

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMacphersonNH

Reaction score
I want to be right up front that this isn't a woe is me posting. I have much to be thankful for and feel extraordinarily lucky!

Since beginning my treatments, my health care insurance provider has fought every step of the way to cover my treatments. I've now spent roughly $700,000 for medical care and $300,000 in legal bills to keep myself alive. It's be come apparent I will likely need to sell my home as I've now officially used up my entire retirement portfolio.

This is deeply frustrating. It's hard enough to fight cancer without fighting the insurance system as well. When I asked my hemonc what happens to those who don't have the resources or wherewithal to tackle the system, he said his patients die. Roughly 1/3 of my treatment class will die from their inability to afford the available meds.

This isn't a rant for or against Obamacare. But I think everyone should know there are still 35 million people without health insurance. And there are another 15 million who suffer from under insurance or policy disputes like me. Most are like me - hard working, paid our dues into the system, and likely have rare and/or chronic diseases which insurance providers hate.

Just wanted to share with you guys the reality of having a free marketplace healthcare system. Some of it is great. Some of it really sucks. But next time you hear about someone faced with huge medical bills think about all the struggles and impact this has on people's lives.

End of rant.

Unfortunately Tom, I understand this all too well myself. I'm pretty well stuck as a renter for the rest of my days due to all the family medical problems. I hope you're able to get things squared away without destroying all of your future options.

Best of luck
Jim

Hard to read that Tom, without shaking my head and wondering how this can be. Yet knowing at the same time that the Ins companies are only in biz for their own bottom line and the shareholders. Scum, all of them I say.

The important thing is that you're managing to deal with it and keep your treatments coming.

Are there no Samaritan agencies you could turn to for financial help with this? How about your church (if you have one) or any local church outreach department for that matter?

Seems to me there should be someone to turn to for help with a matter like this. Even our local TV station has a spotlight on causes such as yours, and a news spot often brings in donations for those in need.

Just a thought brother. Difficult to see you shouldering this alone.

Keep on fighting the good fight. We're all encouraged by your progress!

:D

Cheers,

RR

Mr Conservative here will rant for you. Obamacare was corporate thievery and nothing else..had a Republican passed it there would have been rioting in the streets. Mandated health insurance has nothing to do with health care.. As my friends here have pointed out in a very sorrowful way, We still need health care reform in this nation and it should not be politicized.

Tom, we appreciate you sharing your insight on your recent experience. I'm really sorry to hear how the situation has affected you financially as well.

My dad died of cancer 16 years ago...my mother is still paying off his medical bills, and she likely will be paying for another 16 years. If he didn't have the income to have great life insurance and good insurance, it would have bankrupted any other family.

My father-in-law had a heart transplant after having a pacemaker get infected, and going through a terrible car accident (unrelated, but exacerbated his heart issues). He has literally millions of dollars in medical bills to "pay off."

Thankfully, in both cases, my family was able to continue paying and living (mother makes good money and can afford the payments, and my father-in-law had insurance only because his pre-existing condition didn't preclude him from getting insurance).

The Affordable Health care act saved my father-in-law's life, it required the insurance companies to provide him coverage. I'm in full support. The only thing I support further is a single-payer system (and if you want to purchase private secondary insurance, go for it). There are too many people who die/stay sick/go bankrupt/lose houses and lifes to this crap. Being healthy shouldn't be a privilege of the rich/lucky/etc.

The typical Americano deserves government health care, for many reasons other than those cited here, and he deserves to get it good and hard.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Tom. As someone who uses $1,000 worth of medication each week, I understand what you're saying.

I could go on a rant about why we have the highest health care costs in the world, and still increasing at faster rate than anywhere else on the planet... But I won't.

Wishing the best for you, man.

TMacphersonNH":n7jx5xat said:
I want to be right up front that this isn't a woe is me posting. I have much to be thankful for and feel extraordinarily lucky!

Since beginning my treatments, my health care insurance provider has fought every step of the way to cover my treatments. I've now spent roughly $700,000 for medical care and $300,000 in legal bills to keep myself alive. It's be come apparent I will likely need to sell my home as I've now officially used up my entire retirement portfolio.

This is deeply frustrating. It's hard enough to fight cancer without fighting the insurance system as well. When I asked my hemonc what happens to those who don't have the resources or wherewithal to tackle the system, he said his patients die. Roughly 1/3 of my treatment class will die from their inability to afford the available meds.

This isn't a rant for or against Obamacare. But I think everyone should know there are still 35 million people without health insurance. And there are another 15 million who suffer from under insurance or policy disputes like me. Most are like me - hard working, paid our dues into the system, and likely have rare and/or chronic diseases which insurance providers hate.

Just wanted to share with you guys the reality of having a free marketplace healthcare system. Some of it is great. Some of it really sucks. But next time you hear about someone faced with huge medical bills think about all the struggles and impact this has on people's lives.

End of rant.
You have made EXCELLENT points which we all should recognize ! When the first version of the ACA came out it had true provisions for HEALTH CARE and regulations for the cost factors in this industry but was not ceneterd around the Insurance industry. These guys realized they were being left out and were going to loose a lot of $s if they did not get things changed. They got themselves involved in the re-write that finally went to the Congress and was passed and we now have a Affordable HEALTH INSURANCE ACT, not really a HEALTH CARE law. I guess it's the better of the two evils btwn it and nothing but it really says a lot about this country which I'm afraid is returning to a not too good a place it was coming out of. Onward Thru the Fog :twisted: :twisted:

I really feel for you. I've watched some of my clients spend an unbelieveable amount of money on their treatments. I urge you to NOT sell your house.

This is going to sound like a terrible recommendation but medical bills are dischargeable in bankruptcy. The bankruptcy system was designed for people such as yourself. Your home will most likely be protected (I don't know your equity situation and am not an expert on exemptions specific to your state).

My dad is a bankruptcy trustee and I'm a CPA so I have a good depth of knowledge about these matters. You can PM me if you have more questions.