Hearth & Home blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any opinions on their blends and recommendations? Several of the descriptions caught my eye recently-

Anniversary Kake

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/HearthandHome/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=78979

Louisiana Red

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/HearthandHome/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=78948

Marble Kake

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/HearthandHome/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=78951

Tried to get these to show as images but my computer savvy isn't up to it I guess!

Anyway, thoughts?

TIA

Cheers,

RR

All three mentioned are excellent in their own way (although I am not a huge fan of Anni Kake due to the light rum topping, it does have many fans). I would add the following to an H&H 'must try' list: LJ Heart Virginia and Old Companion (the latter is pleasantly topped similar to P&A, but is much softer and more refined--a quality alternative to codger Burley blends). Rolando's Own is also nice.

I'm quite a big fan of Louisiana Red. But it MUST be aged for at least a year. Fresh, it's raw.

I'll be back in the shop on Tuesday after returning from the CORPS show in Richmond. If you'd like to talk about our blends, you can call me then at 800-494-9144, or you can email me at [email protected] and I'll do everything I can to help you.

Russ

Both Marble Kake and A. Kake are tasty and A Kake is just about the smoothest VaPer out there. They tend to leave a bit of a cigarette room note by my experience however.

Discovered that I had a sample of Anni Kake from our own Blackhorse, which I duly smoked this afternoon. Very nice, quite full and dark especially towards the end of the bowl. Lit fine, burned well, and provided me with over a 1/2 hr of smoking pleasure with a good book.

Looks like this is one I'll get in.

blendtobac":xpc4cfoj said:
I'll be back in the shop on Tuesday after returning from the CORPS show in Richmond. If you'd like to talk about our blends, you can call me then at 800-494-9144, or you can email me at [email protected] and I'll do everything I can to help you.

Russ
A very fine gesture sir. I'll take you up on that!

Kapnismologist":xpc4cfoj said:
^ Or, you can just ask the creator of the line itself (what a great forum).
That's what I'm talkin' about!

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

Of the three you mentioned, Anniversary Kake is a winner in my book. Love the stuff!

Anniversary Kake has been my go-to blend for years now. Absolutely tremendous everyday smoke. And doesn't leave much of a room ghost either.

I must be weird, I did not like Anniversary Kake. What ever it is topped with tasted like plastic, too me. Maybe I got a bad sample, because it does get decent reviews.

AJ Va'per is not too shabby. It is topped with something sweet, as well.

I have 8oz of Rolando's Own and Marble Cake, jarred up for about a year now. I'm going to let them sit for another year before cracking them.

There's a sweetness to AJ's VaPer because of the unflavored black Cavendish, but there's no top dressing used in the blend.

Russ

Louisiana Red, Ten To Midnight and Larry's Blend are all in my daily rotation. I have yet to try a Hearth & Home Blend that wasn't good. I haven't tried to many aro's from them.

I like many H&H blends including the ones you mentioned. One that is not mentioned but I absolutely love is Stogie. A cigar blend with no Latakia. Doesn't necessarily taste like a cigar but is very tasty indeed!

OK, so after considering the recommendations of those who posted here I've got some tins on the way-

Anni Kake
Louisiana Red
Marble Kake
Stogie
Frenchies Sunza B.
Virginia Spice

Looked at all the descriptions of their many blends, and frankly there were at least a half dozen more on my list but decided on these to start.

Looking forward to checking them out and will report my findings in due course.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

Cheers,

RR

I love VA Spice. How do you feel Stogie matches up against it? Do you like it better or worse? Why? How is it different?

Well, seeing as I have yet to try either one of them I have no opinion at this point! Perhaps others who have experience with them can comment.

I just liked the descriptions and will go from there.

Cheers,

RR

Storm_Crow":e76jy64u said:
I love VA Spice. How do you feel Stogie matches up against it? Do you like it better or worse? Why? How is it different?

Haven't had Va Spice but went very quickly through my 8oz bag of Stogie. Reviews say that they are very similar with Va Spice being a bit sweeter and Stogie being a bit more nuanced and complex.