Hearth & Home Sierra Nevada

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I see that Russ's new and Ltd. Ed. blend...Sierra Nevada,made only for the West Coast Pipe Show, is selling now on the P & C site. I've been thinking about placing an order, but have no clue as to what the blend is all about. If it's a Latakia blend...I'm out. If it's a codger Burley...I'm all over it. Something else? Maybe.

I can't find a description anywhere. Does anyone know the skinny on this one?

Wonder if it has anything to do with that magnificent brewery in Chico, Ca?

Paul 2.0":k8v7qnz1 said:
Wonder if it has anything to do with that magnificent brewery in Chico, Ca?
LOL, I came here to post the same thing :p

My favorite beermonger and I were discussing how this was the nicest label Sierra Nevada brewery has made lately...

304096_260108110703823_100001139089132_656974_1948944554_n.jpg

...but I'm not sure it has much to do with the tobacco.

The first is Sierra Nevada, which was made for the 2011 West Coast Pipe Show. This is a unique mixture of three quality Virginias, great Orientals, Perique and a bit of earthy Burley to make a one-of-a-kind rich blend that’s hard to describe. A portion of the proceeds will go to the continued support of the West Coast Pipe Show.

Thanks for the detail. That's a maybe with the Orientals...one of which could be the dreaded L!

Now...what about those two VA blends that are showing up in the Marquee series? VA Nights? VA Memories? Sure, I know there are descriptions...what I need is direct experience! That's what one of my girlfriends used to say.

I watched this thread hoping to get more info, too--if you get some, let us know how it is!

Blackhorse":cto6j1j0 said:
Oh fine! So how did this work around to ME having to buy the stuff blind?
* I'm the new guy, and ignorant--my tongue can't be trusted. 8)

* I'm the poor guy, I'll get it at a garage sale in 15 years, maybe. 8)

* We can all pass it around like a drunk floozy at a frat party if need be. 8)

Heheheh

Blackhorse":j0m9bn8m said:
Oh fine! So how did this work around to ME having to buy the stuff blind?
Let us know what you think.
710492.gif

Just to show you guys that my heart's in the right place...I did place my order. So there.

I got a 4 oz bag of the Sherlock Holmes Club's VR Flake...and a 4 oz. bag of Hearth and Home Marquee Series Lakeland Brickle Fortisimo. Like I said, I'd like some first hand data before ordering something based on the manufacturer's glad claims. Just sayin'.

:santa: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer: :rendeer:

Blackhorse":bp3kg481 said:
Like I said, I'd like some first hand data before ordering something based on the manufacturer's glad claims. Just sayin'.
Outrageous! This is going way too far. :study:

On a side note, we'd like some well-informed second-hand information as soon as you can... :lol:

Oh man...this is gonna be interesting! The two blends came yesterday amid an deluge of other Christmas mail. On opening the box I remembered it was mentioned that the Fortisimo was vac-packed...cool. Slit off the end with my 'sharper than a razor' Spyderco pocket baby with the laminated ZDP189 blade and lowed my eager nose to the opened pouch...Juniper Berries and Clove? :shock: OH MY! This stuff is...'and now for something completely different', yet very pleasant. The VR is also unique in its pouch aroma. Both of 'em are gonna be whole new pages in the good old flavor notebook, I'm thinkin'. More to come.

Well, you're going to want to know about these two...and that's because both are real winners! First, the VR. You can go to the P&C website and check out the description...or cruise over to the review website and read what a few other guys have said (all positive)...or you can take my word for it.

The VR 'flake' (really one of those hard pressed cake things that P&C does) was a 4 oz. bag that came as 4 thick cut sections...which when cut for the pipe turned out to be very dry and pretty hard...which resulted in a stellar burn in my Bari Squash Canadian. I left a lot of it in pretty large cubes, for the bottom, and added smaller pieces on top, then finally some coarse dust as kindling. It took right off and burned well throughout the bowl. It burned a lot faster and more smokey than a regular flake...with a slightly sweet 'treacle-like' flavor...rich and full. FYI...treacle is the flavoring profile often applied to Stonehaven...raisin/molassas notes. I could find no fault with this blend. A very positive experience. For me...to find something that has a Stonehaven flavor profile and lights and burns like a champ...is a real find.

The Fortissimo? Oh my. The pouch aroma might be offputting to some, but the 'Juniper Berry & Clove' essences really didn't make it into the bowl that much. I lit this one up in a smallish basket pipe that I smoke generally weird Brit stuff in...and it did a workmanlike job. The weed was vacuum packed in plastic and thankfully didn't leak the unique aromas until opened. The profile here was not 'aromatic' but like a Lakeland ready rubbed it had a strong essence added that went away about 80% soon after lighting, leaving a lightly scented tobacco flavor, which while very different was very nice. A most effective presentation of something special. A note on the flavor...there are Lakeland blends that I like and some that I don't. They've been doing it for a long time and know what they're about. I'll leave the bubblegum and most of the flowered ones sit til they lose most of it (about a year is right) but there are others I really like such as Glengary, Dark Scented, etc. The Fortissimo uses essences that are unlike anything they add in the Lakeland District blendings...so it IS unique. I like it a great deal. It loades and lights easily and puffs up well. If you want to try something completely different...this one might just be it!

So there.

Interesting... I imagine juniper berries and clove would have been pretty up-front, but they lend themselves well, eh?

Juniper berries, one of my favorite flavors. Will have to order some. Sounds like a winner.

The 'Juniper Berries and Clove' thing is per the maker. I would certainly never have known. Coulda been Kumquats and Nutmeg and I wouldn't have known the difference. Imagine University Flake...but brighter...or Firedance...without the cream...I don't know. But it's not the flavoring that makes it work while smoking. That's more presentation, though maybe it comes out in the roomnote.

Another thing I liked about both was the pricing. You had to get a 4 oz. minimum, but the cost per oz. at that level seemed really good for some reason.

If I were to pick one of 'em as an addition to my regular lineup it would be the Sherlock Holmes VR thing for sure. I just loved the way the stuff behaved, smoking like a kind of "Stonehaven Kake". But both have their place and both are works of art in their own ways.

...not to sound like a dunce, but did you get these directly from the manufacturer or...?

Sorry about you just describing the "room note" or "subtlety" of the smoke, I just read it as that was flavoring. I'm just making a damn mess of this thread. :lol: I do the same thing with coffee tasting and smelling... I'm pretty sure there's no strawberry jam in my coffee, but that nuance is there at times... (especially with this year's Guatemalan crop...yowza! It's good.)

The VR flake (half-plug? :lol:) also sounds the most tempting from what you describe. Not to downplay the other, but I wonder if it would be dialed in for someone with a less sensitive tongue. Some of the "wild" stuff gets pretty lost on me and I start whining. :lol: