Hearts & Flowers Day

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldstogie

Reaction score
Hope everybody remembered their favorite valentine today....It's not too late. As a new member of the BoB, I'm glad to introduce myself. I've been smoking cigars for a long time and recently decided to go back to my first love...the pipe. For the past several months, I've had a lot of fun getting started again, including finding a great source for tobacco--4noggins--and some some excellent handcrafted American pipes (Dave Neeb and Tim George, Mark Tinsky and Randy Wylie). I've been browsing the estate pipe sites a lot and have picked up some excellent values (Radice, Nording, Neerup to mention a few). I'm really amazed at the number of American pipe craftsmen around today...many just getting started...to which I am more than happy to send some of my business their way. The Danish and Italians certainly do not have a corner on the fine pipe market! There are a lot of beautiful and affordable American pipes available and all it takes is a little research and looking around to find them. Sites like this are a great help and I do appreciate the opportunity to participate. I will share one tidbit before signing off. I didn't realize how little relative humidity pipe tobacco requires (only about 15% to 18%) to stay fresh. Certainly a lot less than the 65% to 70% for cigars. I have one of these tobacco review sites to thank for that knowledge. In most cases, pipe tobacco does not need any extra humidification as long as it is kept in an air-tight package/container. And to attest to that piece of helpful information, I found a 4 oz. pouch of bulk pipe tobacco at the bottom of a drawer, still sealed in its plastic ziplock bag, that must be at least 5 years old. I was going to throw it away but decided, as a whim, to open it just to see if it was any good. To my amzement, the aroma was still fresh and the tobacco still felt moist after all these years. I smoked the whole pouch and enjoyed some of the best pipesfull I can ever remember. I think the 5+ years of aging melowed it out. Now I can't for the life of me remember where I bought it. Its only identification was "Mark Twain" written on the pouch. As it was some of the best tasting tobacco I have ever tried, I wish I could find some more!

Hello, and welcome to the Brotherhood. The next time you are over in the Flint area, be sure to visit Paul's Pipe Shop. You will be blown away by the selection of pipes and tobaccos. They have a lot of their own blends as well as tinned brands. You can also check their web site for just a sampling of their wares. The number of pipes in stock is probably in the thousands. :face: It is my favorite B and M and they have been in business something like 82 years.

Welcome to the forums! I hope you have fun reading & posting here

"T"