Hello from a newbie in Tasmania!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFolks

Reaction score
Hello there brothers!
So glad that I found this site. I've been a cigarette smoker for about fourteen years, and am looking forward to giving them up and concentrating on the pipe. Every time I see someone smoking a pipe, they look so content and at peace. Almost as if they know some deep secret or truth about the universe. That is something I want from my tobacco use, not the rushed sucking down of a durrie.
I've been lurking around the site for about a week now, and am amazed at the depth of knowledge and spirit of comradeship. I've already learned so much!
I've just received a Savinelli Piazza di spagna(111KS) from Smokingpipes.com, along with their five pack of Dunhill blends and a few accessories. I have only smoked it twice now (MM965), but am loving the flavors as well as the meditative process.
Anyway, I can't wait to join in on the conversations around here, and be a part of this community.

Fraternally,

Mike Folks

When you said this:  " Every time I see someone smoking a pipe, they look so content and at peace. Almost as if they know some deep secret or truth about the universe."

You are half way there in understanding pipe smoking.

Welcome to the forum....welcome to the Brotherhood.

Check out the past threads...it will be worth your time.

Great people here...you won't be disappointed

Thanks for the kind words guys. It really feels like I have found a home.
Hahaha! That's it Cartaphilus, actually saw one the other day!

Welcome to BoB! I hope you enjoy your time here (and best of luck cutting out the cigs)

"T"

Hello Mike, very nice to meet you and welcome to BoB.  :sunny: :cheers: 

G'day, Mike ... welcome aboard ...

(do they say g'day in Tasmania?)

G'day Steve,

We sure do! Tasmania is kind of like the Deep South of Australia. So far south that we drifted away :D 

MikeFolks":d1zqlwej said:
G'day Steve,

We sure do! Tasmania is kind of like the Deep South of Australia. So far south that we drifted away :D   
Welcome.
Aah the Aussie Rednecks ! :roll: 

Welcome Mike Folks!

A kiwi eh? Always wanted to visit. Looks like a beautiful country.

I've heard that there is a rabid anti-smoking government policy in place there, to the extent that publications like Cigar Aficionado cannot even be sold. Is this true, and how do you cope with the seemingly draconian legislation to enjoy a pipe? Or is this all just media BS?

Cheers,

RR

Welcome Mike, So good to have you on board. Hope you will feel free to ask any questions you may have about pipes and tobacco. Our brothers and sister have a wealth of knowledge and experience that they will gladly share. All you have to do is ask. Sounds like you already have a nice pipe and some fine tobacco so you've already got a good start. Looking forward to reading your post.  :) 

AJ

Thanks again guys!

Haha! Not quite a kiwi Brewdude! But yes, the tobacco legislation here is fairly draconian. All tobacco products must be in plain packaging(olive green, brand and variety in a standardized typeface, 70% of the package covered in graphic health warnings). The tax rate for tobacco is insane, 50 grams of roll your own cigarette tobacco is nudging $50(I would imagine it would be the same for a 50g tin of pipe tobac).

Such is the smoker's lot in Australia :cry: 

MikeFolks":44y2odlw said:
Thanks again guys!

Haha! Not quite a kiwi Brewdude! But yes, the tobacco legislation here is fairly draconian. All tobacco products must be in plain packaging(olive green, brand and variety in a standardized typeface, 70% of the package covered in graphic health warnings). The tax rate for tobacco is insane, 50 grams of roll your own cigarette tobacco is nudging $50(I would imagine it would be the same for a 50g tin of pipe tobac).

Such is the smoker's lot in Australia :cry: 
D'OH! Looks like geography is not my strong suit. Somehow I got it into my tiny brain that you were from NZ!

:oops: 

Cheers,

RR

Welcome to BoB, great group of people here & great wealth of knowledge.

Brewdude":d5b9iqtr said:
D'OH! Looks like geography is not my strong suit. Somehow I got it into my tiny brain that you were from NZ!

:oops: 

Cheers,

RR
Hey Brew, You been working as the taster in quality control again?  :drunken:  :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: 

AJ