Hello from AZ.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddy13

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been 'playing' with a pipe for about three weeks now- a MM Cob and some PA, Tinderbox Wilshire, CBW and some Vanilla Tobacco Galleria. The first couple times I ended up with a pile of matches, a sore mouth and a bowl of charred tobacco. I've been reading the posts here and on other sites as well as watching some youtube videos and am slowly making progress. The guy at the local Tinderbox has also been very helpful with answering my questions without making me feel stupid.
I'm glad to be here and look forward to learning from those that have come before me and sharing my experiences as I grow as a pipe smoker.

Thanks...

Hello and welcome to BoB!

There's lots of good info and knowledgeable people here. I've been smoking a pipe for about 50 years but I've learned more in the last 7 or 8 years from the internet than I did in the previous time.

Jim

Welcome to the group. Come back often!

I've been playing with pipes for 14 years :lol:

Buddy

Welcome! This is a great place to pick up helpful tips, the guys here are very generous with help!

eddy13":c296cnha said:
Hello,

I've been 'playing' with a pipe for about three weeks now- a MM Cob and some PA, Tinderbox Wilshire, CBW and some Vanilla Tobacco Galleria. The first couple times I ended up with a pile of matches, a sore mouth and a bowl of charred tobacco. I've been reading the posts here and on other sites as well as watching some youtube videos and am slowly making progress. The guy at the local Tinderbox has also been very helpful with answering my questions without making me feel stupid.
I'm glad to be here and look forward to learning from those that have come before me and sharing my experiences as I grow as a pipe smoker.

Thanks...
That's what happened to me as well! :lol!:

Welcome!

Welcome to BoB. As Ol'Dawg said there is a great bunch of people hear to help you along and share their experiences in this great hobby (some would say addiction) of ours. :lol: I too call Arizona home. I live in the Phoenix area (West Valley) around Luke Air Force Base. You will find this a great place since we have four or five B&M's around here that cater to us pipe smokers.

Welcome my friend. I think you will find the guys here very kind and helpful. I have been a pipe smoker for a long time, but I learn something new about this most enjoyable hobby/addiction all the time. You can't go wrong with the MM cob of yours. I have many, and smoke one everyday. I hope you enjoy the forum and your pipes.

Ken

Welcome Ed, I sure wish I was in AZ right now, as it's a bit cool here in New England. My Uncle lives in Safford, AZ. I've been to AZ a bunch of times, at least you can smoke outdoors there!

I read your other post, sounds like things are going well. I think most of us here started out like yourself. Although I started with a briar pipe, a lot of experts in the hobby say the starting with a corncob is best. You get a great smoke for a decent price and can even get a few and have a little rotation going.

I tell people I started with CBW and it inspired me to look for better tobaccos,haha. But the fact of the matter is it's the biggest selling tobacco in the land for a reason, it's decent and consistent. PA is probably a close second.

I'm not an aromatic guy, probably because I smoked cigars for years and like the taste of straight tobacco. However, the mantra of the true pipeman is this:

"Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke"

You'll not be judged here, in fact you'll probably get a lot of useful info on aromatics by other BoB members, many of them enjoy aromatics.

It took me a while,as it will you, but every now and then I'll have a smoke that is exceptional, 10 out of 10, and that keeps me coming back and makes the 6s and 7s a worthwhile endeavor.

Be patient, keep smoking and Enjoy! Peace-Mike :cheers:

Welcome to the boards. I too, have learned quite a bit while here.

Jazzman":tpbp49hu said:
It took me a while,as it will you, but every now and then I'll have a smoke that is exceptional, 10 out of 10, and that keeps me coming back and makes the 6s and 7s a worthwhile endeavor.

Be patient, keep smoking and Enjoy! Peace-Mike :cheers:
Thanks for the info.
If I can get 5's out of my pipe experience, I'll be thrilled-can't imagine what a 10 would be like :face: .

Keep warm...

Mikem":2fs7il9m said:
Welcome to BoB. As Ol'Dawg said there is a great bunch of people hear to help you along and share their experiences in this great hobby (some would say addiction) of ours. :lol: I too call Arizona home. I live in the Phoenix area (West Valley) around Luke Air Force Base. You will find this a great place since we have four or five B&M's around here that cater to us pipe smokers.
Great link!!!!
Thanks

Hey :lol: MikeM and eddy,
I live in the Phoenix East Valley . If you're hanging out at the Mesa Tinderbox we might bump into each other.
I go there once a week.

Welcome!

Tak