Hello from AZ

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bemused

Reaction score
Hello, quick introduction. A friend of mine bought me a pipe for my birthday in March. He does not smoke a pipe. I didn't own a pipe. He got me a new Savinelli Pianoforte 623 on a whim as a gift. He's a different sort of guy.

Anyway, not wanting to do the generous gift any injustice I began perusing the forums for the "best" pipe tobaccos, methods, etc etc. That brought me here. I've been lurking since March so I thought I'd join. The pipe, as it turns out, is a delightful and honorable past time. I love tobacco. It tastes and smells great, it has a rich history worldwide, it's a big player in US history... I love it.

I like the pipe better than cigars, overall. I love a good cigar still but the pipe is easy, convenient if you only have 15 minutes to smoke (I'm busy, I can't dedicate an hour to smoke more than once a week or two), it's cheap per smoke compared cigars, and there's a wonderful nostalgia that accompanies the pipe.

Point being, thought I'd join so I could BS with you guys and gals about it.

P.S. I've only tried a handful of blends so far; Dunhill Nightcap, Frog Morton's Cellar, McClellend Legends, McClellend Tudor Castle, and SG Full VA Flake. So far my favorite is the FVF but I enjoy them all!

Hello Bemused and welcome to BoB

:cheers:

Welcome to BoB! I'm glad you're enjoying yourself here and with your pipe.

"T"

Of course FVF is your favorite, all the others are rotten Latakia weed. Welcome.

Ps. I've perused Savinelli's endlessly, own many, what a great pipe to start with. That particular series is quite attractive. What shape?

It's a bent apple. 626 rather, not 623 as posted above

I say, your friend is a sporting type! Great to see you on board and here's to a journey of learning the noble art of the briar...

Welcome to BoB!    Pull up a chair, a good smoke and something to drink.    

You'll find lots of worthy advice and commentary here.   Also check out TobaccoReviews.com for specs and opinions on most pipe tobacco blends made today (and some that are long gone).    

My only suggestions are to try a wide variety of blends, keep a diary of what you like / dislike and remember that your tastes are likely to change over time.     Enjoy the journey.

Juanmedusa, yes that it the pipe. I tried to post a pic but I'm not allowed to for 7 days :(

Bemused, what part of AZ do you live in if I may ask? And how you you like it?

'zona is high on my list of places to (someday) retire to, is why I'm curious. I was born there, and figure I might as well die there too....heh!

Cheers,

RR

Welcome aboard sir. Sounds like your buddy got you off to a good start. This is a great place of fellowship and learning (and a lot of b.s-ing sometimes) that is full of good people.

Brewdude":e7sd52py said:

'zona is high on my list of places to (someday) retire to, is why I'm curious. I was born there, and figure I might as well die there too....heh!

Cheers,

RR
I live in Flagstaff and I love it. I lived in Tucson for 4 years and that was ok, way better than Phoenix if you're looking for a big hot city.

Bemused":1v2diuyk said:
Brewdude":1v2diuyk said:

Cheers,

RR
I live in Flagstaff and I love it. I lived in Tucson for 4 years and that was ok, way better than Phoenix if you're looking for a big hot city.
Visited staff back around '96/'97 or so in the early Spring while on assignment with my former brewery. Still some snow on the ground but sunny and pleasant. Remember 3 pub breweries in town, all within a few steps of one another. Liked the town and area, but dealing with snow is just not going to be part of the plan in retirement.

I really don't mind hot and dry, in fact like it quite a bit actually. As long as there's low humidity bring on the heat I say!

Don't think I'll be looking at either the Phoenix or Tucson area though. Need to come down for a look around to decide which area will be best.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":v9yiaqy0 said:
Bemused":v9yiaqy0 said:
Brewdude":v9yiaqy0 said:

Cheers,

RR
Visited staff back around '96/'97 or so in the early Spring while on assignment with my former brewery. Still some snow on the ground but sunny and pleasant. Remember 3 pub breweries in town, all within a few steps of one another. Liked the town and area, but dealing with snow is just not going to be part of the plan in retirement.

I really don't mind hot and dry, in fact like it quite a bit actually. As long as there's low humidity bring on the heat I say!

Don't think I'll be looking at either the Phoenix or Tucson area though. Need to come down for a look around to decide which area will be best.

Cheers,

RR
I grew up in Cottonwood AZ near Sedona, and hour or so south of Flagstaff. It's hot and dry but not quite as bad a Phoenix/Tucson. Less people:)

Sedona will be one of the areas that I'll be looking into, as well as Bisbee. From what I've gathered, Sedona might well be out of my means though. Sure seems beautiful though.

There was a new member a while back that hailed from Bisbee. Forget who it was just now, and he just drifted off after his intro. Always meant to sound him out on the area.

Cheers,

RR

I never went and checked out Bisbee. Sedona is expensive but surrounding area is more reasonable.