Hello from Crusader Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusader Pipes

Reaction score
Hello from Crusader Pipes,
A kind fellow turned me on to this site, thank you again! I am a maker of figural pipes and freehands and very interested in figural pipes from the Civil War era to the turn of the 20th century. I am a historical reenactor and am interested in authentic tobaccos. I would appreciate any information on either topic.

Hello and welcome to BoB Tim..what part of upstate you in? I was born in Potsdam and raised in Gloversville...

Glad to have you aboard..

Thanks Mike !
I am a life long Delaware County boy,raised in the Catskills and proud of it ! Glad to make your aquaintance !
Tim

Hunted some in Delaware Cty as a youngster, glad you made it to BoB.

Would love to know more about your collecting hobby..sounds interesting!

Hi Mike,
I had a guy who saw my work on Etsy and was kind enough to send me to the BoB site. It's a great idea and I've been looking for a site like this. Glad I can be a part of it. There's alot to learn, history ,personal tastes,tobaccos, places to shop, lots of people to share with. I am impressed . I'm not a facebook kind of guy,but this has more of a direction I want to go .
As for collecting,I am more interested in studying old pipes for the art work ,carving, and the technical parts of how thet were put together. My work isn't a copy of anything back then just a take off from there, a continuation of that kind of style if you will . I like freehands too,if I come across a piece of exceptional grain and skin I save it for freehands .
How about you? What kind of pipes spark your interest?
So you hunted in Delaware Co. where abouts ? It is a great place to hunt and fish. My oldest boy got a really nice bear two years back and had a rug made of it. Do you hunt anymore ?

Hello, Tim (or Crusader. "Crusader Tim" has a ring to it. :D )
Welcome aboard. We're looking forward to seeing some of those pipes!

Thanks George !
Glad to be here ! I will be glad when I can post pictures here. I am on Etsy and have my own website that has scrimshaw on it also. The pipe on my avatar is one of my own creations.
I like your avatar, where did you find that ? What types of pipes and tobaccos are you interested in ?

Crusader Pipes":o9a5i4oc said:
Thanks George ! I like your avatar, where did you find that ? What types of pipes and tobaccos are you interested in ?
Thanks, Tim. The avatar is nicked from a piece by the artist Greg Broadmore, a freelance illustrator who also works with Weta Workshop, a motion picture design studio. (full frame below) You could say I have a fondness for Victorian/Edwardian imaginative fiction, as well as American pulp sci-fi, fantasy, and horror from the '20s and '30s. NOT a steampunk, per se; just a connoisseur, if you will.

As for pipes, my preference for smoking leans toward bulldogs, pots, and billiards. I enjoy a well done imaginative take on classic lines, yada, yada, yada. I don't own any figurals, or anything clearly in a 19th century style, but I have an appreciation for the craftsmanship and artistry represented therein.

Hey Tim,

I'd be hard pressed to remember specific areas we hunted as it was a LONG time ago I just remember Delaware County. I haven't hunted since the early 90's, when the Army sent me to Hawaii. Never picked it back up.

As for pipes, I love bent Dublin's and billiards. Those seem to dominate my stable..again, welcome to BoB.

George,
I happen to really like that kind of fiction myself, Arthur Conan Doyle,Jules Verne, Kipling, Wyss, alot of those classics of that period.As a youth, I also liked to read Edmund Hamilton's si-fi from the 20's and 30's he was British I think. That was straight forward fun stuff . I am more of a LOTR and Narnia fan these days.
As for the Weta workshop, they are a FANTASTIC group ! What imagination and craftsmanship in that bunch !
Look forward to talking to you more.
Tim

ejames,
Thanks ! I hope to be posting those pics eventually. What are your interests as far as pipes ?

John,
Thank you for the welcome, and you are seemingly a man after my own heart with the Patrick Henry quote ! Love it !
Tim

Mike,
Well that's too bad you never picked hunting back up,but sometimes the military does that to folks or you just get too busy .
What other topics or sections of the board do you frequent?

Dr. T,
Thanks for the welcome ! I hope to be able to post some pictures soon. I have already met some interesting gentlemen here. Problem is ,I don't have enough time to read all the forum sections that I'd like,guess all in time.
Tim

Welcome Tim, I really want to see some of your work, I really love freehands. Anyway...welcome to the club.