Hello from (currently) sunny England

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruraldean

Reaction score
Good morning gentlemen (and ladies if any are present).

I'm a contributor over at SF and Gray Fox, and a pipe smoker for the last 8 years. I'm 53 years old, with my wife for a total of 38 years (32 married) and have 2 lovely kids, one of each, and one of whom has recently joined the brotherhood at age 24. So far he's had 3 of my best smokers. My daughter (22) is unlikely to join us.

I have no idea yet who is a member here, but it's possible some of you may have seen me before. If so, hello old friends.

I live in the South West of England, in the South Cotswolds, and was originally encouraged to smoke a pipe by my doctor (yes, you heard right), who thought it might help with my stress-related back pain. It didn't, because the pain turned out to be a congenital heart defect, but ho hum...

I favour English blends, with the singular exception of Butternut Burley, and I'm a massive FMotT fan. I currently own about 50 pipes, only one of which is a Dunhill, a few Petes, Barlings, Brighams, 1 beautiful Ronny Thuner, Brebbia, Hardcastle, Carrington, Bjarne, W O Larson, the list goes on.

I look forward very much to contributing here, and reading some more of the excellent posts.

Cheers

RD

PS. You can get a feel for who I am at http://ruraldean.wordpress.com

Greetings and welcome ruraldean, there's a few of us infiltrating from SF and England, I know the cotswolds well, a wonderfull area to live, look forward to reading your posts.

Welcome ruraldean,
We allow any and all who share the love of pipe & baccy even if they are Englishters. Actually I would love to visit there someday as I am of partial Welsh/English decent (throw in a little German & French too).
Enjoy!

Welcome to BoB RD.

Your specious claim of SUNNY England is highly dubious! I lived there from November 1984-1986 at RAF Alconbury Hunts, Cambs and the sun came out exactly twice in those two years. The first time was July 16 1985 at 2:14p and lasted for 18.0142 minutes, the second time was August 23 1986 at 11:46a lasting for 43.05 minutes :p

One knows the sun still rotates the heavens, mainly by reading poetry and the observations of scientists in other (more southerly climes) but it is only rarely observed in England, and seen perhaps once every 150 years in Scotland!

Anyway, I certainly enjoyed my two years in England, it taught me a great deal.

I see you are a proud owner of a Ronny Thuner creation! I have one as well, a Freehand and a fine pipe it is:

Ronny Thuner

Please pay limited attention to one 'Pseudo Nim' , he's under 'supervision' and claims to be from Lancashire, but we all know he is of questionable parentage being at least 1/2 Irish, and currently residing in Blackpool in a maintenance shed under an amusement attraction :affraid:

I think you have found the very best Pipe and Tobacco forum on the internet, I wish you welcome.

Mind your head :bball:

I see you have been welcomed by our dear Brother, the Kilted1, plese be kind to him and humour him often, the poor fellow came to our land and claimed Scottish ancestory, mainly because his own rejected him out of hand, (he even freely admits that whilst in our land, the sun refused to shine on him). Whereas I, in true Brotherly fashion, extended to him the world renowed hand of true English freindship, and he, in true (though deluded) Scottish fashion proceeded to bite it off.

The efforts made in England to civilise him were obviously far to much for his temprament and character, if one were to use the term in it's loosest form. :( but one must always hold out hope, for hope springs eternal.

Pseudo Nim":w85eo19r said:
I see you have been welcomed by our dear Brother, the Kilted1, plese be kind to him and humour him often, the poor fellow came to our land and claimed Scottish ancestory, mainly because his own rejected him out of hand, (he even freely admits that whilst in our land, the sun refused to shine on him). Whereas I, in true Brotherly fashion, extended to him the world renowed hand of true English freindship, and he, in true (though deluded) Scottish fashion proceeded to bite it off.

The efforts made in England to civilise him were obviously far to much for his temprament and character, if one were to use the term in it's loosest form. :( but one must always hold out hope, for hope springs eternal.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

See what I mean? Poor fellow, equating front seat rides in an open cockpit biplane (presumably whilst at too high an altitude) with being an 'aviator' he seems to have suffered greatly from oxygen deprivation. Given the fact that he claims to be highly educated, numerous spelling errors, one might doubt his 'English education'.

As to the extended hand of 'friendship' (please note proper spelling) came with the terms that I address him as "Your Grace" assuming either title or the rank of Bishop in private communications. As one of Scots (and friends) lineage, as Pseudo Nim rightly surmised, who's ancestors were made 'redundant' by the extensions of 'graces' by the English and forced to seek shelter and fortune in 'the colonies' I find his dubious assertions of 'friendship' to be reminiscent of a by-gone era of Empire; best forgotten.

He seems devoid of understanding of the 'Modern English Gentleman' assuming his position as an equal among his brothers (regardless of their origins) and insists upon 'titled forms' of address.

I've tried to help him and nurture him along, even suggesting that he smoke several pouches weekly of a beloved tobacco no longer available in the former colonies, that wonder of smoking excellence known as Condor Original, but he slagged me off. He insists no 'Condor Moments' for himself. :roll:

Kindly grant him the tolerance you may have grace to afford any hapless demented creature, he has a good heart and means well ... bless him.

:lol!:

.................... And there you have it, the proof beyond doubt, try to be courteous and pleasant in a civilised manner and immeadiately your accused of the Highland clearances. He is just so sensitive................................ now you see children, this is what will happen to you if you smoke too much Condor................. :affraid: You too could end up just like Kilted1. Be afraid............... Be very afraid. :lol!:

Thank you chaps, for the kind welcome. I firmly have an eye on who is to be watched, believed or ignored, and I will endeavour to be the model contributor. (I've already narrowly avoided a punch-up in the rubber room, where some poor noob received a nail in each corner).

Happy puffin' what, what!

Pseudo Nim":whohjkzk said:
.................... And there you have it, the proof beyond doubt, try to be courteous and pleasant in a civilised manner and immeadiately your accused of the Highland clearances. He is just so sensitive................................ now you see children, this is what will happen to you if you smoke too much Condor................. :affraid: You too could end up just like Kilted1. Be afraid............... Be very afraid. :lol!:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

See there we have it gentlemen (and any ladies present) evidence of paranoia on a grand scale. I made no such direct accusations, or incrimination , simply a qualified historical observation, upon the whole sad state of affairs. The delusions it seems have no bounds, the pretense of title, (or perhaps religious delusions of the Bishopric) the immediate application of historical references to himself, the decidedly unscientific supposition of the 'results of Condor' ... it all adds up I'm afraid to a paranoid self abasement, misdirected upon a brother.

I've read the history in several forms of Culloden and the Clearances ( most recently the great work of John Prebble ) and amazing at it may seem, no mention anywhere is "His Grace" Lord Pseudo Nim, false pretenses aside, the man is several ounces shy of Her Majesty's properly poured Pint. One suspects he may have been witness (perchance even a participant) in one too many competitions of 'ferret trousers' down the pub!

Should Pseudo Nim come wandering down your way, or further still into the wilds of Cornwall seeking asylum or friendship, please notify the local authorities, and for God's sake keep him well clear of Scrumpy Cider!

As too your experiences and supposed misfortunes in said Rubber Room, that place can get very lively indeed (it's a second home to me) our present 'leader' providing plenty of grist for the mill. There are many good natured folks there, and though we may seem a disagreeable lot at first, we generally work things out by turns.

"His Grace" Lord Pseudo Nim said:
I beleive "Pretence" has a "C" in it somewhere, or at least it does in English, now as for the Rubber Room being Kilted1's second home, I must beg to differ, nay I say, but his main residence no less.

And by the way, have you noticed Kilted1 always has to have the last word ?

kilted1":5qtci9zh said:
"His Grace" Lord Pseudo Nim

As too your experiences and supposed misfortunes in said Rubber Room, that place can get very lively indeed (it's a second home to me)
Pseudo Nim":5qtci9zh said:
I beleive "Pretence" has a "C" in it somewhere, or at least it does in English, now as for the Rubber Room being Kilted1's second home, I must beg to differ, nay I say, but his main residence no less.

And by the way, have you noticed Kilted1 always has to have the last word ?
NO Sir I DON'T!

I'm just right, (though it's spelled both ways) obviously infuriating to you :bball:

pretense
One entry found.

Main Entry:
pre·tense
Variant(s):
or pre·tence \ˈprē-ˌten(t)s, pri-ˈ\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, probably modification of Medieval Latin pretensio, irregular from Latin praetendere
Date:
15th century

1: a claim made or implied ; especially : one not supported by fact2 a: mere ostentation : pretentiousness <confuse dignity with pomposity and pretense — Bennett Cerf> b: a pretentious act or assertion3: an inadequate or insincere attempt to attain a certain condition or quality4: professed rather than real intention or purpose : pretext <was there under false pretenses>5: make-believe , fiction6: false show : simulation <saw through his pretense of indifference>

I even fixed your broken attempt at posting nested quotations! No need to thank me :x