Hello from Dayton, OH

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim in Ohio

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Tim from Dayton Ohio. I just dug out some of my dear grandfathers pipes this week. Decided to hit a local smoke shop, get some pipe tobacco and give them a whirl. I am enjoying it. I started with an ounce of an "aromatic blend" (African Queen) which is described as 'aromatic burley's blended with mild English tobaccos.' I saw a post by someone who said that smoking aromatics made them feel like they were smoking an air freshener! I have always loved the smell of pipe tobacco being smoked, so the name 'aromatic' drew me in... please drop two cents in on the subject... is that just a misleading name? Are the English tobaccos great smelling when smoked too? (I REALLY detest the smell of cigarette smoke... so, keep that in mind).

I'm looking forward to learning alot from this group and to beginning my own pipe collection. I'm drawn to the idea of a nicely styled churchwarden, as I enjoy smoking the pipe while reading and having the bowl a bit further from my eyes seems appealing.

Well, I was glad to find this forum.
Thanks for having me.
Tim

Welcome aboard Tim. I prefer natural tobacco but keep in mind that all most all tobaccos have some degree of flavoring. There are some very good "aromatics" available.

Welcome, Tim! There are thousands of tobacco blends to try, and like JP says, very few of them are totally unflavored. Based purely on sales, when most people think of "pipe smoke aroma," they're thinking of a cavendish blend (Captain Black, Lane 1Q or BCA) or a classic burley blend like Prince Albert.

You'll learn what you like only by trial and error--which is part of the fun--but TobaccoReviews.com is a good place to get a genral idea of what many people like.

Welcome Tim. I also started with an aromatic from a local B&M not too long ago, much like yourself. Luckilly I was intrigued enough to investigate this pipe smoking business a little deeper. Lo and behold I discover there is a veritable plethora of tobacco types and an endless array of different blends that each sound just as good or better than the last one. This is further complicated by the fact that taste is such a subjective thing.

I have estimated that there are approximately 1.675 Gazillion different tobaccos that are readilly available comercially, not counting discontinued blends. Nothing for it really but to charge in with wreckless abandon and try a variety of types that sound like they might taste good to you, then follow your taste buds to the next one in line.

Perhaps someone you know could tell you what your grandfather smoked...maybe that could give you somewhere to start.

Welcome to the BoB! :cheers:

I enjoy a cool smoke with hints of vanilla and honey. So, label me an aromatic smoker. Though I have a few tins of GL Pease Westminster and GL Pease Union Square, which are amazing smokes, as well.

I also enjoy Full Virginia Flake and McB's Navy Flake.

Keep sampling different blends. No telling what you might end up with!

Frost":5m64ipu5 said:
Welcome Tim. I also started with an aromatic from a local B&M not too long ago, much like yourself. Luckilly I was intrigued enough to investigate this pipe smoking business a little deeper. Lo and behold I discover there is a veritable plethora of tobacco types and an endless array of different blends that each sound just as good or better than the last one. This is further complicated by the fact that taste is such a subjective thing.

I have estimated that there are approximately 1.675 Gazillion different tobaccos that are readilly available comercially, not counting discontinued blends. Nothing for it really but to charge in with wreckless abandon and try a variety of types that sound like they might taste good to you, then follow your taste buds to the next one in line.

Perhaps someone you know could tell you what your grandfather smoked...maybe that could give you somewhere to start.

I second what frost said!!!!!!! :joker:

Hello Tim, welcome aboard! I am a Cincinnatian myself. I'm not sure what part of Dayton you're in, but you should make sure you head over to the Wharf in Fairborne. They have a great number of pipes and tobaccos in stock and are very willing to answer your questions and point you in the right direction. I suggest you take several pipes with you so you can sample many of the tobaccos they have in bulk. I personally dig their "Danish Mist". I lived in Riverside about 10 years ago and frequented the Wharf as a cigar smoker. I recently took a trip up to the Wharf with a focus on my PAD and TAD and was not disappointed! I hope you find this hobby as fulfilling as I do! :D

A big howdy and welcome! A few weeks ago there were about 3,200 pipe tobaccos listed onTobacco Reviews. It's a great source to use for researching pipe tobaccos if you remember there are no guidelines/restrictions on attitudes or experience.

Good luck,
Jim

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips. I started a couple of threads that I hope have the potential to be long lived, ongoing daily favorites.

"Let's see a pic of your newest pipe" - A thread like this can be a real showcase for everybody to ooh and ahh over what our brothers have scored... and help the rest of us start coveting!

"What tobacco did you smoke today?" - Similar deal, can become a clearing house of great feedback to give the rest of us ideas on what we might like or not like.

I am a member of some other (non-pipe related) forums that have similar threads that I find myself looking at daily. I know I am a new guy... but hopefully, you'll all enjoy these type of threads like I do. ;)

That_Paul_Guy":jkea027f said:
Hello Tim, welcome aboard! I am a Cincinnatian myself. I'm not sure what part of Dayton you're in, but you should make sure you head over to the Wharf in Fairborne... :D
Hey Paul,

You are correct... that be the place around here. :)

That_Paul_Guy":uymf9hh9 said:
Hello Tim, welcome aboard! I am a Cincinnatian myself. I'm not sure what part of Dayton you're in, but you should make sure you head over to the Wharf in Fairborne. They have a great number of pipes and tobaccos in stock and are very willing to answer your questions and point you in the right direction. I suggest you take several pipes with you so you can sample many of the tobaccos they have in bulk. I personally dig their "Danish Mist". I lived in Riverside about 10 years ago and frequented the Wharf as a cigar smoker. I recently took a trip up to the Wharf with a focus on my PAD and TAD and was not disappointed! I hope you find this hobby as fulfilling as I do! :D

When I was at WPAFB The Wharf had moved to Beavercreek across from the mall. Did it move again? The father is one smart dude when it comes to baccy. His son is another story :roll:

gonefishing":u9ihcz1a said:
That_Paul_Guy":u9ihcz1a said:

When I was at WPAFB The Wharf had moved to Beavercreek across from the mall. Did it move again? The father is one smart dude when it comes to baccy. His son is another story :roll:
No, no move It is where you remember. I recently called there looking for a tin of Bjarne I thought I remembered seeing on my last visit. I had a great conversation with a fellow (whose name I forget) that was recently placed in charge of the pipe side of the business. He sounded very enthusiastic about creating more of a pipe atmosphere there, with the potential for some pipe related events. I live in Cincinnati, but I would certainly make the one hour trip from my door to theirs for a pipe gathering. I'm on vacation this week and I'm torn between a trip there or a trip to Columbus to Pipes and Pleasures and Smokers Haven.