Hello from flyover country

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john-in-kc

Reaction score
I know some of you from the pipes.org boards and the smokers forums board.

Hi, I'm John. I'm 50 something, and have a long history with the briar :)

My current enjoyment of the briar dates back not quite 10 years now. A certain event in my life brought me back to the briar and blend, and this time, I'm not leaving.

I had smoked aromatics (mostly black cavendishes) from my very late teens to when I came back to the briar. When I came back, I started off with Lane's Crown Achievement. I've not looked back. My ARCADIA :) is McClelland Anniversary, but 2015, 965, Frog Morton, Hermit Mystic, and Hermit Captain Earle are all blends I enjoy.

I had been all over the map in my earlier life in terms of pipes smoked. I had both a Former bent and a Preben Holm volcano that I dearly miss even now. Even so, when I came back, Ivy Ryan's 1997 article on Charatan's Make, coupled with Mike Davis/Mike McCains' (pipestem and donkeynut) passions for focused collecting brought me to Charatan's Make, Executives and Selecteds as my collecting focus :)

Smoke in peace :)

Yes, welcome John, I have a couple of Charatan's, or should I say Charatan's make, as they are stamped, low end, could never get the little devils to smoke very well for some reason, most likely the dreadful aro's I was feeding them with.