Hello from Kansas

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BanjoBob

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm David Goostree and I live in the Flint Hills of Kansas.
I started smoking a pipe when I was 16 years old back in 1964.
Over the years I always had pipes, but for convenience I also smoked various brands of unfiltered cigarettes too,
but around 1982 I went strictly with pipes only.
I called myself a collector during the 80's, but eventually realized I was just a smoker.
Around 2006 while being on strike for 13 weeks I started selling pipes on eBay that I never smoked,
which was helpful since I had no income for those 13 weeks, and I had well over 300 pipes, most I paid way too much for.
When I retired in 2009 I was supposed to sell all my clutter, so again I started with the pipes I never smoked.
Before selling them all I attracted the attention of collectors who asked me to sell theirs too.
I'm now selling for 4 different collectors and have two others waiting for me to have time to sell for them too.
My eBay sales are as much a social experience as it is a business.
I love pipes, so it's difficult to let many go.
I have at least a dozen on hand now I'm struggling with whether to let them go or not.
My favorite thing besides selling is visiting with my buyers.
Many have become good friends.
My collectors who send me pipes frequently buy pipes other collectors have sent me.
All have also become good friends.
I'm in trouble every day because my Wife's honey-do list is enormous and all I have time for is pipes.
I'm experimenting with making pipes look better too.
I buff and polish them, adjust tenon's, then take pics and offer them to dozen's of previous buyers,
some are a Pipe of the Day special email, and also multiple offerings of new arrivals before they get listed.
David/BanjoBob48

Welcome!

I know what you mean about the smoker/collector distinction. I see new pipes all the time and think, "Ohh, I don't have one like that! I should get it." I struggle now with sticking with buying just a few pipes I know will be lifelong companions.

Welcome to the forum, we're glad you're here.

Ocelot55":xoc5uo9m said:
Welcome!

I know what you mean about the smoker/collector distinction. I see new pipes all the time and think, "Ohh, I don't have one like that! I should get it." I struggle now with sticking with buying just a few pipes I know will be lifelong companions.

Welcome to the forum, we're glad you're here.
Thank you.
I should point out I'm not here to try to sell pipes.
I just love pipes and talking to like-minded individuals.
Some of my favorite smokers are very inexpensive.
My daily smokers include M. Schulte's billiards,
a few more valuable pipes like Sasieni 4 dots, Ascorti's,
Aldo Velani's, etc., but a favorite is a Vanguard squat bulldog that I got on eBay for $3.32 delivered.
People frequently ask me for a starter pipe so they can get into pipe smoking, and I usually suggest they buy a Missouri Meerschaum corncob.
I don't have a favorite shape of pipe, though I favor standard shapes in a straight w/ a smaller bowl.
A pretty pipe is a plus, but I can't afford to have a lot invested in attractive pipes, so most of my smokers aren't very valuable.
My all time favorites are My Ascorti Business, an old Bill Sargent freehand, and an enormous Gasparini Canadian.
I like buying old pipes and cleaning them up, then if they don't smoke right, I can sell them and get my money back.
It's interesting that over 90% of pipes that look badly burned only have like a cake on the rim and they clean up to look like new.
When buffing old pipes, I've learned the hard way, I've destroyed many, which was a valuable lesson each time.
I'm so good at it nnow that I haven't destroyed a pipe in almost a week! Hah!
David/BanjoBob48

Welcome. I read your title and immediately started singing,.."Carry on my wayward son..." A great Kansas song in my opinion.

Sorry, I'm a "remember by association type of guy'. I have other fond memories of Kansas. I drove from Colorado to Kansas one year to buy my first motorcycle. Great times.

But I regress. Welcome, and Enjoy!

Brian.

Welcome to another "overdoer" lol. Nice turning your hobby into dealing pipes, mine just cost me money permanently!

awoodby":4curpmt4 said:
Welcome to another "overdoer" lol. Nice turning your hobby into dealing pipes, mine just cost me money permanently!
I can easily see how that can happen.
I currently have no less than 30 pipes that belongs to others I hate the thought of selling.
My latest batch included several Savinelli's that included Punto Oro Canadians, Giubileo De Oro Panel,
and many others.
I have a 9" long Mauro Armellini Canadian that is much too large for my kind of smoking,
but I'd just hate to see it go.
Today I reluctantly listed a gorgeous Tsuge Asukasa 504 and a London Castle by Huybrecht and they both sold in just minutes.
I listed an English Canadian today too that had no name, but it's so gorgeous I wanted to keep it.
It's only had a few puffs taken on it, that's one of my top 10 shapes, so it's painful not being able to just put them in my rotation.
It won't get better either, because I'll have over 1000 more that will all be hard to part with too.
BanjoBob