Hello from Long Island, NY

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermute

Reaction score
I just want to say "Hi" to everyone. I just started on the pipe smoking path a few weeks ago. Not the smartest hobby to pick up at 33, but I needed something that would force me to relax for a bit in my hectic life and I figured it would go well with the hiking, camping, and pocket knife collecting that I enjoy doing.

So, I picked up a Peterson #68 Donegal and some B&M shop vanilla aromatic to start off. I'd like to try a non-aromatic blend that won't smell objectional to wifey (suggestions are welcome) and try to sneak a second pipe past my wife (there are a few Stanwells screaming my name).

Welcome, wintermute. Glad to have you. Pipesmoking is a great hobby to start at any (legal) age. Enjoy!

Welcome aboard new brother! May I suggest John Middleton Walnut as a non-aromatic that will please the wife?! Absolutely the highest grade leaf in that category!

Welcome aboard. You won't regret taking up the briar or joining the Brotherhood.

Nassau or Suffolk? I lived in Great Neck for a few years some time back.

Welcome! G L Pease's Barbary Coast is great and has a great room note.

Hi! How goes the hour? Pull up a chair and smoke a bowl.

Doc Manhattan":pulnnvdd said:
Nassau or Suffolk? I lived in Great Neck for a few years some time back.
Grew up in St. James, passed through Holbrook, Long Beach, and Glen Cove. Now I'm living in Seaford.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Greetings and salutations, wintermute. This is a great forum with lots of knowledgable pipesters -- don't be afraid to ask questions here! Good on ya for picking up the briar and leaf -- tis a journey that never ends, yet is simple, relaxing, and fun. Enjoy!

Glad to have you aboard the BoB! As to suggestions, I am sure that you will many varied ones from our esteemed members here. My suggestion would be check out pipesandcigars.com. They are out of Albany and are one of the better blenders around today. Look in their bulk tobacco section under Scotty's blends. There you will find a blend named Old Red. This is an all Virginia blend that is very tasty, will not bite no matter how hard you puff and it smells good , at least to my senses anyway. Do research on all the different blends on tobaccoreviews.com.

Hello and welcome aboard.You chose a great pipe maufacturer and shape to get started with...... :pipe:

Thanks everyone. I picked up a Bjarne Skagen billiard as my second pipe. I'm planning on trying to make that my non-aeromatic pipe.

You and I have much in common, new brother! I've picked up the hobby myself for similar reasons (although I'm STILL waiting on my gear to arrive... :evil: )