Hello from Me-ChiefBull

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefBull

Reaction score
I am William A. Bullard Jr.--EMC/SW [USN] Ret'd. twice Bronze Distinguished Rifleman [Fleet Rifleman] and Underway 1200lb. steam qualified Engineering Officer of the Watch, 36 years Naval Service.  In phantasy world after the Navy I worked as a CabinetMaker, retiring in 2008.  I am self taught in the 'Great Pipes' and Pipe in solo competition.  I am a graduate of the Glasgow College of Piping and the 'Scottish School of Drum Majoring.  
    My first Pipe was a 'Hardcastle' Potbowl [ 1st year in the Navy 1961, 17 at the time and an EM/Fn] that I carried with me through two tours in VietNam only to have stolen from me in '94 off the messdecks, Why? I don't know.  That Pipe was my friend and someone stole 33 years from me.  Well, life comes full circle and a very dear friend of mine told me about 'estate pipes' and the such that you could find on line.  Went on line an found the same Hardcastle pot-bowl and purchased it straightaway.  Since that time I have gone on a Hardcastle binge and purchased several others, "unsmoked" .  I have heard talk from time to time about Hardcastle.  I could not tell one for sure exactly what a 'good pipe' is but I do know that Hardcastle is a good Pipe and smokes smooth, sweet, and draws with little or no effort, in my experience.  My favorite tobaccos range the following:
a. general --Cube Cut Burley, when I was a sprat and buying that first 'Hardcastle' my Da' recommended to me Schermerhorn's "Crushed Plug".  That's what I cut my teeth on and I cannot find it anymore.
b. Peterson of Dublin-'Nutty Cut' tamps very nicely-doesn't sour up and smokes smooth and sweet from first fire to last ash.  The Drum Major of Manchester Fire and Police turned me on to it; bullie, good man.
c. Presbyterian a very round [my term] full bodied and fragrant blend.
d. Saseini 'Original Balkan blend'- a little sharper than 'c' but really fragrant
e. Rattray's Highlander blend-with my Pipes and Drums compatriots, love it at Loon and on the drill field at Scotland,Conn.
Please write and let us talk.  I am fortunate to have found you, have other Pipes too but want to get back to "my old friend".

regards
tiocfaidh A`rL'a
ChiefBull

Welcome aboard, Chief ... glad to have you among us ...

Welcome to BoB.  

I think you have found the right place.

You poor man.
What a dull life you've led.

Welcome, Chief. The smoking lamp is lit.

Welcome!

I, too, spend a few years in the Navy, but retired from the Army (long story).

Good to have you with us, Chief -- and thank you for your service!

My dearest all, thank you so very much. Army, Navy, Mar.Corps, AirForce, Coast Guard, matters it not; we are brothers of the barracks square. Would very much like to talk with the chap from Yorskhire, Major Dalby? Perhaps share a bowl and a Pint. Going to Ireland next year on tour for the "All Ireland" maybe we can get together.
None of our lives are boring or dull; though we may all at one time or another think ourselves obscure. And, everyman good man's life is a story of heroism.

regards to all this season
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

Old Navy man here 1960/64,served in Asia,saw the bad side of it, love ships,boats,I am a Cajun and Father was a Shrimper, glad to see you here,I'm new here also was on another forum time to branch out. Anchors Away!

Another former sailor here back in the late 60's.
That is a wonderful and interesting introduction.
Welcome aboard.
:cheers: