Hello from NC

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I have been a pipe smoker off and on since I was in my 20's (I'm 54 now). Some of my pipes are ones I made from briar my dad and I bought back in about 1977 from PIMO. I grew up on my grandpa's tobacco farm, so I've been around tobacco farming and smoking all my life. Peace, Dan

Welcome, mooseisloose57!

Do you remember handing, tying, hanging (in barns), suckering, and cropping? My first paid job as a growing boy was working on tobacco farms. Later, I helped put myself through college working in a tobacco warehouse. NC sure has changed. I remember tobacco so tall that a man had to stand on his tractor seat to be seen across a huge field of the stuff. Riding down the main highways in NC, it was everywhere -- almost seemed that it filled every field on every farm. I remember when the first "tobacco croppers" showed up in my area. It looked to me like a contraption from another dimension.

forsooth":6ovjfvzz said:
Welcome, mooseisloose57!

Do you remember handing, tying, hanging (in barns), suckering, and cropping? My first paid job as a growing boy was working on tobacco farms. Later, I helped put myself through college working in a tobacco warehouse. NC sure has changed. I remember tobacco so tall that a man had to stand on his tractor seat to be seen across a huge field of the stuff. Riding down the main highways in NC, it was everywhere -- almost seemed that it filled every field on every farm. I remember when the first "tobacco croppers" showed up in my area. It looked to me like a contraption from another dimension.
Yes, I remember it all. I miss the smell of tobacco curing in the barn. It's an even better smell than pipe smoke. Also, the smell of downtown Winston-Salem with all the RJR tobacco warehouses.

Welcome Dan! I lived in Virginia for some 12 years surrounded by tobacco farms - truly miss the smell of the curing process.

Enjoy BoB - great place to hang out, share and learn.

Welcome Dan, I'm right down the road in Kernersville though I habitually swing by a few places in Lexington for some BBQ every so often.

If you haven't already discovered them I'd highly recommend swinging by the Pipe and Pint in Greensboro some time. Great folks and some very nice pipes and baccy.

Hey Lexington. Home of the Snyder Family (amazing), and Lexington style BBQ that's getting there. I mean, it sure beats Eastern NC style, even if it's not quite all the way to true BBQ yet. Sorry, I grew up in the BBQ traditions of Memphis, Kansas City, Little Rock, and Texas. Just can't resist starting a BBQ brawl. Next we can discuss chili....