Hello from Ny

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo bill

Reaction score
Hey guys(and gals) my name is Bill I have been smoking cigars for about 4 years now. My favorite cigar at the moment is 601 la Bomba nuclear . I have been interested in starting up the pipe for a while now and decided to take the leap. I have been looking for a place to learn the do's and dont's of this interesting hobby and here I am.

Welcome! You'll definitely learn a lot here. Here are some most likely obvious thoughts for ya to get ya started.

Don't expect a pipe to smoke like a cigar... for a lot of reasons. I say this mostly because my brother-in-law, who also came from cigars apparently didn't know some of the following...

1. Don't expect cigar-class volumes of smoke to come with every puff. Different pipes, packs, tobaccos and on and on produce different amounts of smoke.

2.Don't rush smoking a pipe. Take your time and ease into a flow that works for you. Pipes are hands on and require re-lights, tamps and so on.

3. If it goes out, don't think you did something wrong. The concept of a two-light smoke for pipes is a pipe dream in my opinion. It just doesn't happen every time, nor does it need to.

4. Everybody has their way of doing things around here. That's because there are lots of ways to smoke a pipe well. Some ways work better for some.

5. As in the cigar world, a high priced tin doesn't always equal the best smoke to fit your tastes. There are lots of good tobaccos out there that won't break the bank.

I hope that helps some. Enjoy the site, and welcome!

Brian.

PS. If your mouth hurts after a smoke, you might be doing something wrong. This isn't a bloodsport. :D 

Growley":uzgykl7h said:
Welcome! You'll definitely learn a lot here. Here are some most likely obvious thoughts for ya to get ya started.

Don't expect a pipe to smoke like a cigar... for a lot of reasons. I say this mostly because my brother-in-law, who also came from cigars apparently didn't know some of the following...

1. Don't expect cigar-class volumes of smoke to come with every puff. Different pipes, packs, tobaccos and on and on produce different amounts of smoke.

2.Don't rush smoking a pipe. Take your time and ease into a flow that works for you. Pipes are hands on and require re-lights, tamps and so on.

3. If it goes out, don't think you did something wrong. The concept of a two-light smoke for pipes is a pipe dream in my opinion. It just doesn't happen every time, nor does it need to.

4. Everybody has their way of doing things around here. That's because there are lots of ways to smoke a pipe well. Some ways work better for some.

5. As in the cigar world, a high priced tin doesn't always equal the best smoke to fit your tastes. There are lots of good tobaccos out there that won't break the bank.

I hope that helps some. Enjoy the site, and welcome!

Brian.

PS. If your mouth hurts after a smoke, you might be doing something wrong. This isn't a bloodsport. :D 
Thank you for the insight on the difference between the two.i just picked up two corncob pipe's and order my first briar online today, tomorrow I'm going to talk with the guy at the B&M it see what brands/blends I should try for my first bowl.

Hello Bill. Welcome to the BoB. Glad to have you on board.:) 

AJ

Welcome Bill! I am also new to pipe smoking and to the forum. You've come to the right place. There is a wealth of information and good company to be had here.

Welcome to the BoB forum....this is the place you've been lookin for.....lots of great people and a whole ton of knowledge from experience...enjoy!

Just a question on formatting and etiquette ,I've seen a lot of sticky post that have a lot of great info but when I am looking for other information should I just post a new thread ?