Hello from Portland, Oregon

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badfinger

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

My name is Clancy and I'm new to the site. I've been piping for just over 3 weeks now (don't laugh too hard) and I found this site while researching pipe tobaccos. I got into smoking pipes through my online friends at another forum, and have been jumping into it head first. I'm finding that I really enjoy English blends and a few VA's and Burleys, but haven't tried much else.

One of the reasons I joined this site is to obtain information on tobacco preparations, as I am very interested in producing tobaccos for myself and my friends. When I say producing, I mean growing, curing, and fermenting/aging/pressing/smoking the tobaccos to produce specific flavors.

I also might add that I have been smoking cigars for over 15 years now, and run a relatively successful review site that reviews cigars and cigar culture. We are now in the process of adding pipes to the foray of what we do, as I love to write.

Thanks for taking the time to come read my intro, and I look forward to chatting with your community in the very near future!

Badfinger / Clancy

Welcome, Clancy! I hope you enjoy your time here, and good luck on the processing/blending! I'm sure we'll look forward to hearing about it

"T"

Welcome!
I like Portland, great beer drinking town. Good pizza too!

Welcome, Clancy. No need to laugh at your inexperience; in my short time here I've seen a few guys show up before they've smoked their first pipe at all!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! While I do love Portland, the wife and I are from different parts of the country and have still not become accustomed to the 9 months of rain we get here. We plan on moving to the Denver Metro area within the next 6 months to a year as we need more sunshine and my job allows me to work wherever I want (for the most part). I am a horticulturalist by trade and a writer by chance, but love to get my hands dirty.

Talk with ya'll soon!

PS....

Does anyone know if there are pipe events or get togethers in Portland? I'd love to meet some new faces!

badfinger":0lvg8i5g said:
Does anyone know if there are pipe events or get togethers in Portland? I'd love to meet some new faces!
Most of the pipe smokers I know in Portland aren't into tobacco. :drunken:

Can't take the rain, eh? Wuss! If it didn't rain so much here it would be brown all over instead of green. Seems like a fair trade.

Jeez! I lived in Ketchikan for 8 years. Up there we got an average of 12 feet a year (the recored was 25 feet). Portland (with mean 3 feet), by comparrison seemed like Arizona. The thing most Oregonians like about our climate is that it is moderate...not too hot, not too cold, not humid, green due to the moderate rainfall, with few insects to plague one's fine summer evenings. All in all, nearly perfect. But then, as in all thing, we each have our own preferences. I also lived in Colorado for a short time and found it too 'arid' and cold...but that was for 6 months during the winter and spring. Both locations have beautifull women - so that worked out as an even deal. lol

You've heard the old saying, "If Seattle is the Emerald City, then Toto was a slug." All well and good, but those are just piddly little guys. One of the things I liked about Ketchikan was the giant slugs. Four feet from the snout to the point of their tail. Too bad they were too slippery to saddle up and ride. Woulda been slow...but smooooth! lol

Blackhorse":1mh74idp said:
Can't take the rain, eh? Wuss! If it didn't rain so much here it would be brown all over instead of green. Seems like a fair trade.

Jeez! I lived in Ketchikan for 8 years. Up there we got an average of 12 feet a year (the recored was 25 feet). Portland (with mean 3 feet), by comparrison seemed like Arizona. The thing most Oregonians like about our climate is that it is moderate...not too hot, not too cold, not humid, green due to the moderate rainfall, with few insects to plague one's fine summer evenings. All in all, nearly perfect. But then, as in all thing, we each have our own preferences. I also lived in Colorado for a short time and found it too 'arid' and cold...but that was for 6 months during the winter and spring. Both locations have beautifull women - so that worked out as an even deal. lol

You've heard the old saying, "If Seattle is the Emerald City, then Toto was a slug." All well and good, but those are just piddly little guys. One of the things I liked about Ketchikan was the giant slugs. Four feet from the snout to the point of their tail. Too bad they were too slippery to saddle up and ride. Woulda been slow...but smooooth! lol

LOL. Yeah, we are dry heads. What can i say. My wife is also a stage 4 Crohns' Disease sufferer and has very low vitamin d and has become anemic due to the lack of sunlight in her life. We are basing our move on that and the fact that her sister is also moving to Colorado, and they both have new babies to raise, and want to do it near each other. I personally LOVE rain, although we do get a bit more than I enjoy. Growing up in Boise, I'm used to dry and cold winters.

Welcome Clancy, the idea of growing and producing your own pipe tobacco is awesome...good luck with that man!

Clancy - it sounds like you've got some important reasons to get out from under the clouds. Best of luck re: the move, the agriculture and a major improvement in your wife's illness. I think it goes without saying that a positive future for you here is assured!

I'm new around here as well, and pleased to make your acquaintance. Whenever you make it to Denver, Edward's will prove a delight where B&M tobacconists are concerned, I suspect.

Welcome ! Your growing and processing tobacco is of great interest to myself and I'm sure, many on this forum ! I look forward to hearing your adventures in growing when you get settled. My prayers are with you for you and your wife.

GrampaGrossbart":prpyguyr said:
I'm new around here as well, and pleased to make your acquaintance. Whenever you make it to Denver, Edward's will prove a delight where B&M tobacconists are concerned, I suspect.
Thanks, I'll keep that name in mind when we head over soon to check on property.

Crusader Pipes":8cox6uf4 said:
Welcome ! Your growing and processing tobacco is of great interest to myself and I'm sure, many on this forum ! I look forward to hearing your adventures in growing when you get settled. My prayers are with you for you and your wife.

Much appreciated.