Hello from SA

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivier

Reaction score
Hi, the name is Andries Olivier from a small town by the name of Lydenburg, South Africa. I'm a Law Enforcement Officer and hobbyist knifemaker and pipemaker. I am also a full time pipesmoker :pipe: wich is probably the reason why I'm here.

Welcome to BoB :cheers: :pipe:

How interesting, another SA police officer/pipe maker. Some years ago, I purchased a Jobert pipe from Johan Slabbert (sp?) also a police officer (retired) from SA. Mine is a wonderful Wild Olive Dublin. He used to produce some mighty fine pipes in exotic African woods, I've not heard anything of him in recent years, I know he was very ill about 3 years ago and I fear the worst.

Anyway, welcome to BoB and please post some pictures of your work for us!

Welcome to Brothers of Briar Andries, glad you're here and look forward to your posts.

Thank you for the warm welcomes. I'm glad I found this joint ;-)
Kilted 1, Apparently Johan Slabbert passed away a year or two ago. Unfortunately I never knew him.

Olivier":3v6wqmas said:
Thank you for the warm welcomes. I'm glad I found this joint ;-)
Kilted 1, Apparently Johan Slabbert passed away a year or two ago. Unfortunately I never knew him.
Thank you for the update, he used to chat on the ASP server on undernet IRC channel. I'm fortunate to have known him (though not in person) and to have one of his pipes.

Hi Andries,

A big welcome! I'm new here as well.

Wow, two fellows from South Afrika! It would be interesting to know more about Mr. Slabbert, if either you, Andries, or kilted1 has anything to share on his work.

Again, greetings and hope you can visit often!

Regards, Lisa Marie

Welcome! I've always been a big fan of custom knives. Had a decent collection at one time but ended up getting rid of them after a divorce. A great quality knife is a tool that no one should be without.

Lees":useipdlj said:
Hi Andries,

A big welcome! I'm new here as well.

Wow, two fellows from South Afrika! It would be interesting to know more about Mr. Slabbert, if either you, Andries, or kilted1 has anything to share on his work.

Again, greetings and hope you can visit often!

Regards, Lisa Marie
Unfortunately I don't have much to share on the topic. When I started making pipes about a year ago I looked for South African pipemakers because I didn't know anything about it really. The only info I could get from the web is this: http://www.pfeifenbox.de/articles/johan_en.htm
I got his phone number somewhere and tried to contact him but a lady answered the phone and informed me that he has passed away some time ago. I felt like an idiot. The only other South African makers I know of is a guy by the name of Ebenhart (who wasn't very helpfull at all) and another guy by the name of Charl Goussard who is an amateur like myself.

Pipemaking is not very popular in SA probably because none of the materials and very little tools are available here. I had to import briar from Spain and stem material and some tools from the US. There's not even plastic material available for making a decent stem. I had to make my own tapered drillbits for stem drilling and spadebits to drill tobacco chambers.