Hello from the Azores Islands and GB.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markx

Reaction score
As per title!
Started smoking pipe about a year ago after a few decades of smoking rollups. Within a week I stopped coughing!
Due to the crazy price of tobacco here in England, I get most of mine from abroad but... I have now started growing my own tobacco, both in England and in the Azores where I spend half the year. My first crop of tobacco is in and I'm learning...

BTW, they grow tobacco in the Azores (Fabrica de Tobaco Estrela, Ponta Delgada, Acores) and also make a budget pipe tobacco which I presume is the leftovers from their cigar making. It basically tastes like cigars.
I hang out over in the tobacco growing forum (http://www.howtogrowtobacco.com/forum/index.php) but also hope to also learn something from you chaps!

Welcome to the forum, and let's see some pics of the tobacco growing process when you get time.

Feel silly giving a welcome as I just joined today as well, but welcome!

I would love to hear/see about the growing process. I grew up on the outskirts of Amish country in Pennsylvania and I was always extremely interested in seeing the tobacco fields and the giant curing barns with the openable slats.

Really very cool to know someone is doing it on a personal scale.

Thanks for the welcome!
Have to say though that my baccy crop isn't very spectacular compared to what the folk over at http://www.howtogrowtobacco.com manage to achieve.
If you check out "SCyankee's" post on the 'grow log' subforum you'll have more pics of the stuff at every conceivable stage than you can handle!
If you can grow tomatoes you can grow tobacco, it's the curing that's a bit more tricky.

Just a little factoid: you can expect 3-4 oz of tobacco per plant on average (although my plants varied beween 1ft and 8ft+ in height...). The biggest leaf I got was 35".