Hello from the Great White North

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Neil

Reaction score
My Name is Neil and I have been smoking a pipe for a little over a year now. I live in Calgary AB Canada and I am 28 years old.

I smoke all kinds of tobaccos, however, English Blends, Virginia Flakes and VA/PERS are my defaults. I cannot say I have a favorite belnd in any of these categories, mainly because I have not been in the game long enough to have tried enough different blends to say which is my favorite. Nonetheless, right now I am very happy trying new tobaccos of all types.

As for my pipe collection, I would call it modest. I have about 9 pipes now, all different sizes and shapes, all made of briar, and all of different manufacturers. I have a couple of filtered pipes, but I usually will remove the filter and smoke the pipe without. To me, the filters are just one more thing to keep clean.

When purchasing tobacco, I buys everything through online retailers. Unfortuantely, living in Canada, I am forced to pay about a 200% tax on all tobacco products. However, if I order online in amounts less than 350 grams (14 ounces), I find it makes it across the boarder duty free. I might pay a little more in shipping, but that is a much lower cost than the taxes.

Now becuase I order all my tobacco online, I really cannot support my local tobacconist as much as I would like (I want to support the tobacconists, but do not what to pad the pockets of our Nanny State Government in the process). There is a great Cigar and Pipe shop in Calgary called Epicure. They have a English house blend that I will buy 2 ounces for $40, and I try to purchase my pipes there. Also, it is nice talking to a physical person about my tobacco questions. I find the owner of the shop is very knowledgeable when it comes to pipes and tobacco, and he has really helped me locate some really fine bulk tobaccos.

All and all I really enjoy everything the pipe has to offer. I keep all my pipes clean, tobacco stored properly and look forward to the end of the day when I can sit down and relax to a nice smoke.

Thanks for listening

Northern Neil

Welcome, Neil! Great intro! I hope you enjoy your time here

"T"

Welcome to the forum Neil. I learned a lot from this forum.

Welcome from Ireland brother! :cheers: :cheers:

Fraternally

Jers

I like Canadians, even of you crackerheads call ham 'bacon'..
Welcome.

I used to travel to Canadia (Canadians come from Canadia no? ) quite often but only to Ontario. I would love an east west trip across that vastness..

When I was there last the Looney was worth about .60 USD.

Welcome from another side of North - not that white right now though. :mrgreen: Great intro!

UniversalCode":kfs6463s said:
Wow, what an intro! I feel inadequate already. Regardless, welcome from a fellow newcomer.
Gee me too. Welcome Neil :D