Hello from the UK!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teadrinker

Reaction score
I'm a slightly odd smoker in that I started on cigars, switched to a pipe about 15 years ago, switched to handrolled cigarettes while I was at university 9 years ago with the (very) occasional cigar. I'm not a conoisseur like you chaps - I smoked a pipe because it was cheaper and nicer than Hamlet Miniatures. I switched to rollups after getting tired of having to prove for the 1000th time that it was tobacco, and only tobacco, in my pipe.

Last night, I saw Bill Bailey on QI with his pipe, and thought "Hmmm...." - there then followed an hour of frantic searching for a pipe, pipe tobacco, cleaners etc. Anyway, kit found, I sat down to smoke the pipe (a cheap briar) with some dry-as-dust Peterson's De Luxe Mixture (all I had). I found that I could still pack and smoke a pipe (learnt by trial and error - my first pipe was a clay with Craven Mixture, in later years a cheap briar with Clan vanilla tobacco). Even though the tobacco was dry as dust, the pipe soothed and relaxed me in a way cigarettes never do. I see cigarettes as a way of relieving the nicotine craving, a pipe as a pleasure.

Today, I went into the tobacconist in Birmingham City Centre, and bought my first pack of Gold Block in a decade. Doesn't seem quite as good as when it came in a tin, but next week I shall buy a tin of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, ha ha!

Anyway, that's me.

A few things occur to me re the threads I have read, but I shall get settled in before posting much more.

Yours,
Teadrinker.

Blah Blah Blah... get to the good stuff. Who is your football team?

Dont follow much sport - I'll watch the rugby when it's on, but Premier League football largely passes me by. I have a certain sympathy for Wayne Rooney as he seems a bit harshly treated by the media, but that's more because I watch the satire shows.

Welcome aboard, Teadrinker. I, myself, have made the switch from cigarettes to the pipe twice in the last 20 years.
Teadrinker":7imangs7 said:
...the pipe soothed and relaxed me in a way cigarettes never do. I see cigarettes as a way of relieving the nicotine craving, a pipe as a pleasure.
During my last "transitional" phase, I'd smoke a few pipes over the course of a day, then give in and have a cigarette. The cig would always leave me thinking "that's all there is, then?" It's a wholly different experience. We look forward to your insight here.

Welcome to the forums! I hope you continue to enjoy your reintroduction to the pipe!

"T"

Thanks for the welcome, chaps!

I am hoping to import some genuine Missouri Meerschaum pipes from the US if the shipping isn't too expensive.

Reading this forum and a few other online resources gives me hope that I can go from cigarettes to a few pipes a day..

Welcome to the forum.. the MM are nice instruments to enjoy some baccy in... I know I enjoy the ones I have.. in the workshop, in the living room and out and about

James

Teadrinker":mlcyorqx said:
I am hoping to import some genuine Missouri Meerschaum pipes from the US if the shipping isn't too expensive.
I'm always delighted to see an interest in corncob pipes coming from beyond American shores. If I may, I'd direct your attention to Walker Briar Works.
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/cobs___stems.html
I can't speak for their international shipping fees, but they do make some fine replacement stems for cob pipes. Many find the plastic stems on MM cobs to be their weakness.

p.s: It just occurred to me that the active link I posted may not work for you yet. That sometimes happens with new accounts.
www.walkerbriarworks.com is what you want.

Today I got my first new pipe in over a decade - admittedly a cheap Chinese knockoff, but it will do until I can afford to put in an order for those corncobs.

For £2.25 including shipping, I wasn't expecting much, but got slightly more than expected. It smokes surprisingly well, and if it only lasts a fortnight, well, it was £2.25. I got an email back from Missouri Meerschaum today saying that the postage for $30 worth of corncobs would be $18. $48 converted to sterling is about £30, admittedly I won't get that good a rate from my bank, but even with that and a tin of Early Morning Pipe, I should be back in business for £45.

Teadrinker.