Hello There!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George Kaplan":xtbbeno2 said:
I would suggest posting the same question here in the Pipe Rack column, or even the Round Table. Better chance of the right guys seeing it that way.
I guess by "right guys" I meant Greyson. Looks like he found you anyway. :p

Ah, its been on my mind lately and I had the links to hand *shrug*

:D

Thanks Greyson that really helped :D
I shall have to save up for an actual replica as i have only what the government is so kind to pay me for being unemployed so i have found a cheap pipe for the meantime, I found a seller through ebay that had ones very close to the ones in your links. Quilty is not to important at the moment as it will be my first time even trying to smoke.
Everything arrives next week so come new year I will feel like a true brother.

That's good to hear, just keep in mind that if this is going to be your first experience of pipe smoking, be sure to give it a real chance. A lot of people who want to try it get a poor quality pipe and or cheap tobacco and cant understand why their experiences with pipe smoking are so bad.

Take a look around http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/browse_all.cfm and find maybe some well rated aromatics and some well rated non aromatics you'd like to try, and consider spending a few bucks on a cheap but functional corn cobb pipe like a Missouri Meerschaum. That way if you find you aren't getting good results in the churchwarden you can try it in something else to see if the pipe is causing you the problems. Just a suggestion.

Hope all turns out well!

:cheers: Welcome :cheers:
Well all the brothers said everything that needs to be said about choosing the pipe that is right for you. I will agree with Greyson though, a cheap pipe made poorly will lead to a poor smoking experience. It's better to save up a bit of cash and pick up quality for your first pipe.
There is a cheap option for the beginning pipe smoker though. If you want to find out if you even like pipe smoking before dropping big money I suggest a corn cob (preferably from Missouri Meerschaum). A cob might not be the "look" you are going for but it will give you an idea if pipe smoking is for you without the big expenditure. If you look around online you may even be able to find a churchwarden cob or a cob with a "forever stem".
This is my forever stem cob or as I like to call it my cobwarden. Second picture is with a normal sized cob of the same model.

I would also like to point out there are a few companies that have J.R. Tolken theme tobacco.
Just for Him has the Middle Earth Pipeweed series.
http://justforhim.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1800&zenid=5a905e107235b154c6b776e28bcfee70
McClelland does a Frog Morton series (Frogmorton is a village in the Eastfarthing of The Shire.)
http://pipesandcigars.com/mccrco.html
Can't speak for the Just for Him collection as I haven’t tried it yet (ask brother kaiser83, he loves the JFH Middle Earth stuff) but I can speak for Frog Morton original. Frog Morton is a smokey flavored rich tobacco that I find fits my idea of what the "shire folk" would have smoked.
Anyways....Welcome to BoB I hope we can be of some help in your new adventure into pipeweed!

There is also 'Hobbits weed' by Tewksbury & Co, 'Halflings leaf' by pipeinhand and 'Frodo's best' by McGahey, all quite different but very good.

Edit: Also that's a pretty kickass cobb Left, nice one! :)

Greyson":h8fwyhhl said:
There is also 'Hobbits weed' by Tewksbury & Co, 'Halflings leaf' by pipeinhand and 'Frodo's best' by McGahey, all quite different but very good.

Honestly I want to try them all but I am scared they won’t measure up to the Frog Morton experience. Going to pull the trigger on the JFH Middle Earth sampler in the morning though so I hope my fears are unfounded.

Greyson":h8fwyhhl said:
Also that's a pretty kickass cobb Left, nice one!
Thanks! Haven’t even smoked it yet but I'm sure it will smoke just as good if not better than my other 3 cobs.

Well, they don't really have to measure up... unless you only want to stick to one blend all the time. That's one of the things I love about pipe smoking, so much variety, you can experience so many different flavours and combinations. Anyhow, the blends I mentioned are all different but each very good. If you are interested, check them out on tobaccoreviews.com and see which ones sound like the kind of thing you'd enjoy.

Thanks again guys and i hope you all had a good new years and i wish you joy in the future year