Hello

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakki

Reaction score
My name is Dakki and I'm a -

Wait, wrong forum.

Anyway, I've been looking into picking up pipe smoking again after 10 years or so off the briar. I owned exactly one cheap drugstore pipe (and a copy of RCH's Ultimate Pipe Book so I could slobber all over the nice pipes...) and lost it in a move so... shopping for a pipe again, this time with a little more education (God bless the Internet!)

Anyone got any suggestions? From memory I used to have to run a pipe cleaner in the stem a couple of times every smoke so I think I might have overactive salivary glands or something. :oops:

I remember the Peterson System pipes always seemed like a cool idea, as well as being featured in a couple of Sherlock Holmes movies... is that something you'd recommend to a n00b buying off the Internet? "Overpriced and understocked" describes my local pipe shops quite nicely.

Welcome aboard, Dakki! Lots of cool pipers here, willing to share knowledge and opinions on virtually any topic, though pipes and tobacco are the most common...

Regarding the use of a pipe cleaner during a smoke to clear out any unwanted moisture: could have been the pipe, could have been the tobacco, could have been you, or it might have been some combination of all three...

If you tend to be a "wet" smoker, Peterson System pipes are renowned for smoking cool and dry. The P-lip is not for everyone, however. Some like it, some don't.... I happen to find it tolerable to like-able, but I also think the P-lip is an integral part of what makes a Pete a Pete, so to speak... at any rate, most would agree that you can't go wrong with a Peterson; they are generally a good value, they smoke very well, and have an interesting and pedigreed history.

Have fun and keep us posted!

Welcome to BoB! Keep experimenting with your pipes, tobacco and technique. When you wind up with a dry smoke, try to remember what you did! :lol:

Jim

Welcome...there are several pipe designs out there that seem to produce dryer conditions in the pipe ( it may not be your input, but the pipes problem).

You might want to look into the Churchwarden designs too, as I was just reading about the MacQueen pipes producing a very dry smoke.
http://macqueenpipes.com/

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Hobie1dog, doesn't the churchwarden design preclude typing? I'm hoping to get something I can smoke while sitting in front of the computer.

Dakki":oc9j4513 said:
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Hobie1dog, doesn't the churchwarden design preclude typing? I'm hoping to get something I can smoke while sitting in front of the computer.
If it's long enough you can let it sit on the computer desk while smoking it. :lol:

If it's been ten years since you've been smoking a pipe, I wouldn't sweat the spit, as it were. Your body chemistry has surely changed some and having to run a cleaner down the stem to get at extra moisture happens to the best of us. Welcome back to a great pastime. And get a pete!