Help ID this meerschaum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sobx

Reaction score
My lucky day?
I found a couple meers in a thrift consignment shop today. The nicest one is signed "Fikret Cetinkaya". I paid $40 bucks for it.
It's unsmoked, in a blue velvet case, horn stem, with tamper. I can find absolutely nothing online concerning this guy.
My guess is it was carved in the late 70's. Total length is 8 1/2 inches.
Anyone have any knowledge on Turkish Carver Fikret Cetinkaya?
I believe it's worth more than forty bucks.
I can't believe with this guys skills he isn't on some Master Carvers profile somewhere.

Thanks for your help.

Meer5.jpgMeer1.jpgMeer2.jpgMeer3.jpgMeer4.jpgMeer0.jpg

Ah. After a day of research I find that "Fikret Cetinkaya" is not a person but Fikret Cetinkaya Deri, LTD an import/export company on the corner at 31st street in Istanbul, Turkey
Isn't google street view awesome! Here's a pic of the store.
Guess thats why I couldn't find mention of a carver by that name.

FikretCetinkaya1.png

I don't even like the look of Meerschaum pipes, but if I saw one like that in a thrift store for $30 or $40, I would buy it, just to rescue and re-home it.

Very nice, sobx! Good job of spotting some beautiful pipes, and nice job on the research.

I would not have been able to help with the identification, but I join everyone else in admiring the shape of the pipe and the carving.

Also, $40 for the first one and $30 for the second? Sheesh! Well done!

Igoldberg is right. You have rescued those pipes. Enjoy the pipes, and revel in the find!

BRAGGING RIGHTS FIRST PLACE WINNER September 2023:

Not bad for a thirty dollar investment, eh gents?
Now if I can just do it over again. :)

SabriPipes.jpg