Help me get started

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golfer1633

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Im Anthony, and new to the forum, and Pipe Smoking in general. I am really glad I stumbled on this site, as it seems to be filled with great info, and people who are really passionate about pipe smoking. I have been a cigar smoker for several years now, and really enjoy smoking cigars, but lately have been itching to try a pipe after smelling some pipe tobacco at my local shop. I have been searching around the internet for a good starter kit and found there a many to choose from. I would love some guidance from you folks regarding a good first pipe, first tobacco, and any accessories I will need. I would also like to keep my first pipe for the remainder of my life, as it will be special to me, so something with good longevity is important. I don't mind spending a bit on money on my first pipe, if you guys feel that it would benefit me in the long run.
Thanks for all the help in advance. And BTW I would gladly buy from my local shop, but they only have estate pipes in the 300-500 dollar range which is out of my budget for the moment. Otherwise im a big support your local BM guy.
A.

Welcome, Golfer1633.

As I reflect on what I wish someone had recommended to me when I fiirst started smoking, I think of several things. 1) the great and wonderful smelling aromatic tobaccos usually taste like hot air, but the non-aromatics actually do taste good. 2) In the pipe world, you usually get what you pay for. $100 would be a good investment on a first pipe. 3) Learning how to properly pack, light, and smoke a pipe well will take years, so don't get discouraged if the first coupe of experiences are less than pleasant.

Here is one of the most perfect starter kits I can think of for the beginning pipe smoker:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/pipe-accessories/76236/stanwell-pipe-starter-kit/

Welcome to the brotherhood.

Listen to Jesse (Ocelot)...he is one of the premier pipecarvers on this site.

I agree with Ocelot but, you could add a couple of Missouri Meerschaum cobs to the list.
Great bang around pipes and good for testing tobaccos in.

Cartaphilus":gdrjkzzk said:
I agree with Ocelot but, you could add a couple of Missouri Meerschaum cobs to the list.
Very good advice!

Ocelot55":j9el8wz3 said:
Cartaphilus":j9el8wz3 said:
Very good advice!
I knew there was a reason I liked you. ;) 

Welcome aboard.

If I were to know what I know now and was starting all over again, (I also came from smoking cigars), I would skip on the aromatics and get straight to a naturally sweet straight forward tobacco mixtures. Starting with a couple cobs will help ease you into the experience and keep your initial investment relatively low.

Pickup two bent (or straight) MM Diplomats (one for VA's and Burleys, and one for Latakia mixtures)
http://aristocob.com/DIPLOMAT-Corn-Cob-Pipe-C154287.aspx?sid=15455

Buy 1 50g tin of each of the following tobaccos all by McClelland and no, I am not in anyway affiliated with them, I just happen to think that these particular mixtures are great starting points and they are about as easing going as you can find. They're all flavorful, easy on the tongue and low in nicotine.

1. Grey Havens (Burley, VA, Perique) slightly sweet & good room note
2. VA Woods - Mixture of various grades of Virginia's, subtle, semi-sweet and enjoyable.
3. Frog Morton - Good intro to Latakia. If you enjoy the base smoke-like flavor of the Latakia you'll know it's safe for you to branch out. Keep the Frog in its own pipe.

Smoking slowly, enjoy the experience, relighting is perfectly normal.

Welcome! With the others' sound advice, you'll be off to a great start. 3 cobs and a good briar will give you a good rotation. While basket briars (ie, the usually no-name ones often literally in baskets or boxes on the counters in tobacco shops) can be great smokers, they are really a crap shoot. If you feel the need for some inexpensive pipes later on (and most of us have at least a touch of PAD -- Pipe Acquisition Disorder) stick with producers like Dr Grabow

"T"

Welcome aboard & as the others have said, taking the time to learn how to pack a bowl and smoke a pipe properly make a lot of difference. Take your time and enjoy!

What everyone has said has been right on. Here's a link to a site with a starter kit. I don't know how I feel about the tobacco but everything seems good.

When I first started smoking a pipe I smoked cherry tobacco and I loved it. Then I found dunhill night cap and I never looked back. Now I can't stand aromatics.

So try tobacco and check out tobaccoreviews.com i think thatd the site.

http://thepipeguys.com/product/brunswick-set/

Welcome to Bobs. I was looking forward to adding my two cents of advice, but by the time I got to the bottom of this post, I realised it's all been said. The advice is good and solid. In a lot of ways I envy you. The smells & taystes you'll experience as you look for that perfect blend... you have unlimited options in your quest for the perfect bowl or pipes too! As you grow in your hobby, so too will your PAD, as you get more pipes experimenting with shapes, sizes and finishes. Enjoy it my friend. There's nothing like it.