Help Me Help My Local Tobacconist :)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thomas Tkach":0quqsqil said:
I second the recommendations of Lane and Stokkebye bulk, including a number of aromatics.

I think you have to remember that we on this forum are probably not a good representation of the general market. We're the people that jumped in deep and are way down the rabbit hole. Most of us are connoisseurs or will-be connoisseurs. Just like with beer, the vast majority of the market is Bud-Miller-Coors, not Belgian trappist or even American craft beer.
I think you have it in one Thomas. Folks like us that frequent internet forums such as BoB are not the Joe Six-pack of the pipe world. And they are what drive the majority of pipe 'baccy sales for better or worse. Much like why Macanudo is (supposedly) the best selling handrolled cigar in the US.

ThomasTkatch":0quqsqil said:
Of all the pipe smokers I know in real life, I think about 2 of them could tell you what tobacco they are smoking beyond 'something in a jar that smelled good'.  A dozen or more couldn't tell you, and just keep something, anything, on hand, even best-of-the-rest or whatever. They bang their pipes on whatever's handy to knock out tobacco and have rugged rims for it. I think you'll have the most luck selling a selection of American and Danish Aromatic Cavendish blends.
Agree again.

ThomasTkatch":0quqsqil said:
Do offer to order tins if you can for the more discerning, though.
Yes of course.

Cheers,

RR

Thomas Tkach":biqvk8la said:
Of all the pipe smokers I know in real life, I think about 2 of them could tell you what tobacco they are smoking beyond 'something in a jar that smelled good'.  A dozen or more couldn't tell you, and just keep something, anything, on hand, even best-of-the-rest or whatever. They bang their pipes on whatever's handy to knock out tobacco and have rugged rims for it. I think you'll have the most luck selling a selection of American and Danish Aromatic Cavendish blends. Do offer to order tins if you can for the more discerning, though.
There are two priests in the diocese who are pretty regular pipe smokers at retreats, etc. One of them smokes something he gets at the tobacconist, and does not know what it is. He transfers it to his tobacco pouch, and smokes from that. The other one smokes Troost and I have only seen him smoke one pipe.

Thomas speaks truth.

I haven't read all the responses. But it would kind of be surprising if they differed much from earlier responses in earlier threads as the topic's circled the block & come back again over the years.

If he's repping your pipes, GREAT. Especially if you're consigning them. If he wants pipes other than yours, probably Savinellis/Stanwells. Seriously -- anybody down your way who wants spendy pipes he can fondle before he buys them can go to the Briary anyhow. And once new guys get hooked, they'll wind up getting mostly internet pipes and tobaccos because they're cheaper. Fact of life.

The tobacco he wants is the stuff he can readily sell. Keep pondering that until it really sinks in. If Carter Hall & Cherry Dessert are what flies down there, have that and gradually add better stuff. Easy does it, minimising investment in the (to them) strange & unknown.

The more money you make him -- consistently -- the more he's going to be enthused about keeping a good thing going.

It only works the way it works. Missionaries only convert entire tribes in their daydreams. Your whole town's not going to drop cigars, snuff & cigarettes for Embarcadero.

IMO

:face:

Yak":5ju9tqqq said:
It only works the way it works. Missionaries only convert entire tribes in their daydreams.

:face:
Hey now! My daydreams, as a missionary, consist of entire nations!  :lol: 

Yak":4p8v8n3f said:
The tobacco he wants is the stuff he can readily sell...It only works the way it works.
This.

Based on what I've seen in smaller B&Ms around and about, I'm guessing a selection of MacB and Dunhill tins would probably satisfy the early demand (maybe the ultrapopular McC Froggy tins). Dunhill is a recognizable brand and MacB seems to have something for many members of the aro crowd.

I mean...yeah, McC, GLP, C&D, Sillem's would all be wonderful to carry, but it's a failing strategy to stock more than you can readily sell.