help me muddler! (and other greybeards...)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruins

Reaction score
i'm trying to get a taste for each of the individual tobaccos that make up a blend. i've heard muddler state that red virginias are sweeter than yellow virginias. i wondered if some of you could recommend a 'red' blend and a 'yellow' blend so i can taste this difference. thank you all for your finely tuned tastebuds! :D

You may want to consider C&D 525: Red Virginia Flake and C&D 517R: Bright Virginia Ribbon as they are distinct and representative, available in bulk and 1 oz samples.

"Greybeard"! Geez, I'm clean shaven! You should see Piet's beard! Piet & I had some Embarcadero this afternoon - Red Va & Izmir & compared it with C&D Sunday Picnic - Golden Va's, Izmir & Perique. Piet preferred the SP, I liked the Embarcadero more. These are both two superb tobaccos to try.

If you just want to try a 1oz sample, McClelland 5100 will give you a good idea of just how sweet red Va can be - in fact, I find it rather cloying. OK, the McC ketchup thing may put you off somewhat. The two most representative golden Va's I know of are Orlik's Golden Sliced (bit of a citrus topping) & SG Golden Glow. Both are presented in 50g tins at very reasonable prices. Then Union Square offers a blend of the two, perhaps with a predominance of golden, which creates something more than just a simple combination. Great blend.

grumpy1":1f8cx0tr said:
You may want to consider C&D 525: Red Virginia Flake and C&D 517R: Bright Virginia Ribbon as they are distinct and representative, available in bulk and 1 oz samples.
awesome (and not at all delivered in a tone i found grumpy)! thanks! :D

Muddler":6tffo1qs said:
"Greybeard"! Geez, I'm clean shaven! You should see Piet's beard! Piet & I had some Embarcadero this afternoon - Red Va & Izmir & compared it with C&D Sunday Picnic - Golden Va's, Izmir & Perique. Piet preferred the SP, I liked the Embarcadero more. These are both two superb tobaccos to try.

If you just want to try a 1oz sample, McClelland 5100 will give you a good idea of just how sweet red Va can be - in fact, I find it rather cloying. OK, the McC ketchup thing may put you off somewhat. The two most representative golden Va's I know of are Orlik's Golden Sliced (bit of a citrus topping) & SG Golden Glow. Both are presented in 50g tins at very reasonable prices. Then Union Square offers a blend of the two, perhaps with a predominance of golden, which creates something more than just a simple combination. Great blend.
actually i have some embarcadero that RB-5 gifted me. haven't tried it yet. thanks muddler (by greybeard, i meant experienced puffers...okay, i meant old!)

I was going to give my opinion on this but I'm not a "Greybeard." It's a purdy white actually. So I'll let all the "juniors" reply while I reflect in the mirror and contemplate shaving. Dang Bruins ruins everything! :x

Now that it's available again: Dan Hamborger Veermaster is a superb Golden Va. Hermit & I are nuts about the stuff! Think Valky likes it too.

Muddler":dsgepv9s said:
Now that it's available again: Dan Hamborger Veermaster is a superb Golden Va. Hermit & I are nuts about the stuff! Think Valky likes it too.
i noticed valky jumped on that thread. hey, too late for me though. some evil BoB posted about the new smokingpipes web layout. i had to look, opps...i had to buy too. FVF (just to see why piet's so gaga about it), orlik's golden slice, and some 5100 red cake (little worried about that last one. smoked the Embarcadero this morning and tasted a bit of ketchup...we'll see.) thanks for the suggestions gentleman!

Embarcadero needs its own pipe(s).

Even Huggie says so :cheers:

Great minds run in the same channels.

:face:

I've kept my 4noggins page open for awhile now, adding to my shopping cart with stuff you guys have been recommending to each other. So far, my shopping bag looks very promising! Thanks to all!

There are a hundred representative blends, - Friborg and Treyer have specific virginia blends, for example.

To my taste buds, red virginia is sweet and dark, moving almost towards tasting like a sweet Va/Per, whereas the brighter virginias can move more into a grassy/lemony sort of thing, more "tangy" and less earthy, if that makes any sense.

All told, I suppose I like reds more, find them more interesting, but used condimentally, golden sort of virginia really hits some nice spots - I like Dark Twist for that reason, for example.

Old Gowrie is a tobacco to seek out. If you want to compare dark evil virginias against the brighter varieties. Dwarves smoke Old Gowrie, Elven folk smoke Orlik Golden Sliced.

Muddler":8zaffw4d said:

Can't believe I missed this Thread!
Muddler has summed it up, so I have nothing to add, besides the fact that I love red VA the most, every blend that I have given a whirl that was really goes down well had the sweet red Va in it. C&D Sunday Picnic, Manhattan Afternoon, even Plantation Evening that is a light English blend. The Sweet VA dominates the lat and keeps it in check. I now must admit that I am a red va junkie!!!!!!
Golden VA next then the dark stuff, but then again referring to dark stuff I really dig FVF!!!

It took a while to figure this out for myself, about a year or so under guidance of the VA guru Muddler himself. Maybe I'm just dumb!!
OGS as golden VA rocks my world as well, it is not as sweet as the red stuff. Bruins, remember bro, sweet is a relative term here and not aro sweet at all.

Good luck man!!

Piet Binsbergen":irx8r2od said:
Bruins, remember bro, sweet is a relative term here and not aro sweet at all.

Good luck man!!
i'm making progress. escudo tastes sweet to me now!