Help me out with my next PAD

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cakeanddottle

Reaction score
Posted this on Tamp and Puff too, sorry. Just trying to do everything I can to eliminate buyer's remorse.

It's inevitable, I'll be buying my sixth pipe soon. Five is not enough. Six won't be either, but I have to start somewhere.

I currently own one Nording Eriksen, two Bjarne freehands, one Jeppesen freehand, and a Peterson XL02.

Here is my short list that I am looking at really, really hard.

Winslow Crown 300 - can't afford Poul's signature pipes unless I find one unsmoked on ebay. Until then, I found a couple 300 freehands I really like.

Randy Wiley - American carver with some lovely freehands under $200. How do these compare to Winslow Crowns?

Karl Erik - only if I can find an unsmoked Ekstravagant. I don't want one of the post mortem Erik pipes.

Luigi Viprati - found some cool rusticated Vipratis, and they are huge, like 7" pipes. Don't know anything about the maker.

Stefano Santambrogio - again, found some cool rusticated Stefano pipes. Smaller pipes. Don't know much about these.

Mauro Armellini - inexpensive hand made Italian freehands. Cool, but don't look as nice as the two I just mentioned.

Appreciate any thoughts my brothers here have on these makers. I don't get to wrap my hands around a pipe until I've bought it, living in the sticks and all.Thanks in advance!

Can't help you much bro. I think you will be much happier in the end when you make the choice all by yourself. However, I do know the remorse you are referring to and can thus make a suggestion against Vipratis. I know the make firsthand and I can tell you that it's more about quantity and extravagance than quality (IMHO). I have seen high-end Vipratis with drilling so far off I was surprised they even made it past the workshop door, let alone bearing flashy stamps. Unthinkable with most good Italian carvers.

If I were you I would stick with the Danes given that you already own an impressive bunch. But that is just my way of building a collection - I want to keep some kind of order and logic to the rack. Sticking to particular schools of carvers is a good way of doing that. Each new pipe will also give you a better understanding of the particular tradition, its aesthetics and smoking characteristics. This, again, will eventually give you more satisfaction. Maybe once you're past the seventh (day) you might go for the Italians or the Yankees. The truth is there is so much excellent choice these days that you can hardly go wrong with any of the options (save, perhaps, with the one alluded to above).

Just my two cents.

Found a couple of relevant-ish blurbs with a forum search that may assist you...or maybe just make it more difficult to decide. Lol.

Winslow & Karl Erik: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t6932-winslow-pipes?highlight=Winslow+Crown

Vipriati: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t8920-viprati?highlight=viprati

Armellini: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t5666-mauro-armellini?highlight=armellini

Karl Erik: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t10383-karl-erik?highlight=karl+erik

Wiley: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t8921-randy-wiley?highlight=wiley

If I was gonna be forced to pick one without actually being able to handle it, I would go with a Randy Wiley assuming you find one that looks good to you. That choice would just be because I haven't seen any comments on Wileys about off drilling, poor fit, etc. and have seen plenty in praise of his works.

Not saying they are immune to these issues of course and I have never had a Wiley or any of the pipes you mention, but of those you posted Wiley's pipes seems to have a more consistent reputation that the others from what I have been able to find.

Good luck!

eon":w87vyr07 said:
If I were you I would stick with the Danes given that you already own an impressive bunch. But that is just my way of building a collection - I want to keep some kind of order and logic to the rack. Sticking to particular schools of carvers is a good way of doing that. Each new pipe will also give you a better understanding of the particular tradition, its aesthetics and smoking characteristics. This, again, will eventually give you more satisfaction. Maybe once you're past the seventh (day) you might go for the Italians or the Yankees. The truth is there is so much excellent choice these days that you can hardly go wrong with any of the options (save, perhaps, with the one alluded to above).
Well said! I started off with a wide variety of pipes and then began narrowing my scope once I found what I liked. I too felt the need for a more defined direction in which the collection could grow.

I don't have any information that would help since I haven't smoked any of the pipes you mentimention but I have heard lots of good stuff about Wiley's pipes. Good luck.

I have a few of each of the Italians you list, as well as a Wiley. I rarely smoke the Wiley, and it's just a matter of preference. The feel is different than the Italians. I'd say buy a Viprati or Santambrogio and see if you like it. If not, stick with the Danes. Wiley to me is completely different. All of his pipes I've seen in person and most online tend to be longer, streamlined, with an open draw. Good smoke, but just not comfortable for me.

Either way though, you're not going to get a bad pipe, except maybe from Winslow. : (

:farao:

Harlock999":pxhjd4iw said:
eon":pxhjd4iw said:
Well said! I started off with a wide variety of pipes and then began narrowing my scope once I found what I liked. I too felt the need for a more defined direction in which the collection could grow.
Indeed- that was exactly my "process" too. At first I bought everything that caught my eye. But now have my tastes narrowed down to specific shapes and makers that I like.

i'd try out the wiley. not that i have any experience with any pipes you mentioned, but i feel you get a way better bang for your buck with american makers'. that's from overall experience. besides, seems like some of these danes have rested comfortably on their laurels since the late 70s. but that's just another wild guess.

good luck on your purchase!

I realize that the main reason that one is atracted to a pipe, or brand , is the visual appeal, design, & craftsmanship.None of the qualities mentioned prior.
could reveal how well the pipe will smoke. If the quality of the smoke is the ultimate gold, sometimes progression of pipe, smoking quality, must be experienced.We expect all deluxe & exiotic brands to smoke well, but that is not always the case. Most pipe smokers usually start out with inexpensive pipes, then as they become more involved in the experience, they reach out for the more expensive,
or esoteric brands.And while asseding to the next plato,they learn that the quality of the smoke in the more economical brands, can equal and sometimes surpass
that of the deluxe options. Knowing what I have learned from my pipe evperince.
my advice would be, increase the depth of your rotation, with pipes in the $100
to &150. dollar price range,so that the five pipes that you do have, will have time to properly dry out, and produce the best smoking experince.

"There's a Story behind every bowl'

Haven't smoked any of the names you mention, therefore don't know your price range. Can't tell if you are more interested in looks, or smoking quality. Tinsky makes some very good rusticated pipes under $200 that are excellent smokers. As for Italian makers, you can catch a Cavicchi rusticated under $200 as well.

ordering a Wiley tomorrow, I'll post a pic or two. Thanks guys, Tinsky dark coral next!

Well I was going to direct you to another pipe forum where a guy was selling his Wiley for $40. Very beautiful pipe but it seems as though you have already ordered one.

p1040830r.jpg

cool, please let us know how that wiley smokes.

nice pipe wallbright, seems like a good price too.

try a leedy sometime too... there's a real sweet volcano he calls "burl sled iii" on ebay.

cheers!

I am so in love with this Wiley. It's huge, and the bowl is a little anxiety inducing it's so big, but the finish, the feel, the look and the smoke this pipe gives blows my collection away. I still want a couple other marks, but I think I just may settle into Wileys and collect a few. Awesome pipe, just totally in another league than what I have.

thanks for the feedback. i'm anxious to try one out myself now. i trust they're fine smokers. enjoy this and future wileys! and keep us posted. thanks!

cakeanddottle":0fv8ueu6 said:
I am so in love with this Wiley. It's huge, and the bowl is a little anxiety inducing it's so big, but the finish, the feel, the look and the smoke this pipe gives blows my collection away. I still want a couple other marks, but I think I just may settle into Wileys and collect a few. Awesome pipe, just totally in another league than what I have.
That one is still available actually. The seller says it is a very big pipe, if I had more money I would buy it but I am currently purchasing another pipe from Marty Pulvers.

the leedys are usually quite large too. just finished one with a huge 1 and 1/8th inch wide chamber. feeling a little lightheaded. interesting that it seems to smoke cooler than smaller chambers.

cakeanddottle":bcb95ad4 said:
I have three Wileys and they are among my best smokers and my very favorites. The engineering and draw are excellent, and the only downside is the size; I don't have time for such a large bowl every smoke. But when I do I'm never disappointed! Another outstanding maker of largish briars is Pierre Morel of France, you can find his web site via Google. Nowhere near as hefty as most Wileys, but a bit bigger than usual, shipment to the US takes about a week to 10 days, competitively priced with Wiley and equally well made.