Help Me Put Together My Next Tobacco Order

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-R.

Reaction score
Like the subject says: I'm planning to order three or four tins (or equivalent in bulk) of tobacco for the winter months. My tastes are thoroughly in the Must Have Latakia line of things, so I'm looking for English/Balkan recommendations.

I'm pretty sure that I'm picking up a tin of GLP Lagonda, but aside from that, I'm undecided. I know that I want at least half of the order to be on the Balkan side of things.

As a guideline, I'm more interested in blends that I can be assured of getting on a regular basis -- I'm in the U.S. -- if I come to like them. For example, while I absolutely love Butera's Kingfisher, it's been rather frustrating not being able to acquire a tin for a year now since the last one. In that line of things, as good as they might be, I'm somewhat disinclined towards stuff like Esoterica and Sam Gawith.

Thanks in advance for all the recommendations.

GLP Abingdon, Caravan, Westminster, Odyssey; some people feel he is the best blender of lat blends in the States.

McClelland Three Oaks Syrian - everyone seems to love this blend; plus its Syrian latakia, which to me is far more tasty, complex and interesting than Cyprian.

I'll second alfredo's recommendation of GL Pease's Abingdon. The stuff is great.
3 Oaks Syrian is another great blend to try. However, a must have on any short list is Presbyterian -- and it's always around.

Have fun,
r

It looks like Abingdon is heading towards the top of the list of what to order.

Aside from Three Oaks Syrian, are there any other McClelland blends to look for? I have a tin of British Woods, which is nice but somewhat mild for an English blend. I've read good things about Samovar and Bombay Extra; does anyone have any experience with those?

Also, what of Balkan Sasieni?

I was going to mention Balkan Sasieni. Although I've heard/read some dismissing it as a one-dimensional blend, it's one of my favorites.

Have you tried Peter Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme? It's a really good Balkan blend, my favorite one in fact. One of the best things about it is its' price. It's less than $30/lb. at Mars Cigars, which is one of the few places you can find it. Mike at Mars has a huge selection of tins and bulks and some of the best prices around. I order from him often.

Smokey

Would you say that PS Balkan has either a significant or very significant Oriental presence? How much of a presence is the latakia?

alfredo_buscatti":2irfz9eb said:
Would you say that PS Balkan has either a significant or very significant Oriental presence? How much of a presence is the latakia?
The Oriental presence is significant, definitely more so than the Latakia. It's my favorite Balkan blend and I never seem to tire of it.

Smokey

The local B&M stocks PS's Balkan Supreme, so I'll pick up a few ounces the next time I'm in there.

As for my order, I kept it small this time, just checking out a few things. I went with:

Balkan Sasieni
GL Pease's Charing Cross
McClelland's Bombay Extra

I also have a free sample coming from Sterling Tobacco, of one of their latakia/English blends. 1776 Tavern, I believe it is.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. Even if I didn't use them for this order, I've noted them for future orders.