HELP! My coffee sucks!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coffee can be as great as you want it to be. I make good coffee. With little effort.

Filtered water.

2 x 1/8 cup scoops of fresh ground coffee per 12 cups.

This is what I buy. http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/roasted-coffee/regular-coffee/costa-rican-tarrazu.html Whole beans in a 5 pound bag.

Grind in a burr grinder.

As soon as it's done, pour a cup and the rest goes in a carafe.

If you want better, these guys have told you how, but I make good coffee this way.

Dutch, I like almost all of Jerry's blends. They are fresh roasted twice a week. I am currently working on a pound of his Tanzania Peaberry and it is, probably/arguably his best. Great stuff.
Geoff, excellent water article. I wonder if their water is available state side?

I use only filtered water (Brita filter), tap water ruins the flavor in my opinion and I grind fresh beans for each pot.

I do use a Mr Coffee for my daily brew. On occasion I use the french press which is about the best cup of coffee you can drink.

Best of luck in you coffee search.

Gary

Last time I checked Mr. Coffee several years ago, it did not get hot enough to properly brew coffee. It was around 180 F. Should be around 195-205F.

Yeah, I'm that kind of coffee geek! :study:

GeoffC":30yabq6h said:
Last time I checked Mr. Coffee several years ago, it did not get hot enough to properly brew coffee. It was around 180 F. Should be around 195-205F.

I am no coffee geek but I love it just the same and your probably right but for that easy to make pot this doesn't disappoint. Now I must ask for some recommendations on what brewing systems you do prefer which brew the proper temps? With the holidays and all maybe it is time for a new pot? :)

Thanks,

Gary

Finally bought a French Press, just ordered it tonight, so it should be here in time for the weekend. I searched around for awhile and finally settled on this one... French Press

A little pricey, but I really like the idea of being able to take it with me to whichever room I happen to be busy in and having the coffee stay warm for an hour or two. Ordered some beans and a manual grinder as well. The grinder is a Kyocera coffee grinder that comes highly recommended for coarse grind coffee beans.

Hey, that french press looks fantastic. A friend has something alike and I've always drooled after it. :D

Manual coffee grinder is as good as any if you have the patience for it. A little bit of morning exercise. I, however, eventually ran out of patience. :lol: But I know my brother uses one regularly, and is currently trying to teach his 1-year-old it's just a fun game she can play too... ha ha so crooked!

beetlejazz":q0720ux9 said:
Hey, that french press looks fantastic. A friend has something alike and I've always drooled after it. :D

Manual coffee grinder is as good as any if you have the patience for it. A little bit of morning exercise. I, however, eventually ran out of patience. :lol: But I know my brother uses one regularly, and is currently trying to teach his 1-year-old it's just a fun game she can play too... ha ha so crooked!
That is funny. Just wait until she's old enough to realize it's work and wants an allowance for doing it. That'll teach him! :lol:

Leyte":njt4ehpr said:
GeoffC":njt4ehpr said:

I am no coffee geek but I love it just the same and your probably right but for that easy to make pot this doesn't disappoint. Now I must ask for some recommendations on what brewing systems you do prefer which brew the proper temps? With the holidays and all maybe it is time for a new pot? :)

Thanks,

Gary
Drip coffee makers that brew at the proper temp are expensive. Look into Technivorm. I think Bunn makes a model that also brews at the proper temp, but I don't remember the model.

Glad to see so many coffee lovers here. I've been using a press pot regularly for the past five years, and finally graduated from the whiz-bang blade grinders to my first burr grinder last year. Coffee has never been better.

That looks like a great French Press, Simple Man. I'm sure in a very short time you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

For anyone who wants to learn way too much about coffee, get a part time gig at starbucks and get through the training.. it involves lots of free coffee too. I did this back in school and still use information from that, many details of which have been passed along by Geoff C. I think they teach to brew at 190 degrees f, but that is really splitting hairs at this point.

Just to hijack a little bit, I am lucky enough to have a Intelligentsia coffee that is ground to order in a big industrial job, and brewed into restaurant size carafes (the grinder is calibrated to work with the brewer by a professional. last time he stopped by for a tune up, I asked his name because I hadn't met him before. He told me, but he prefers that everyone just call him "the coffee guy." He loves his job that much, and enjoys the codgership that comes with doing the same thing for decades, and being the best at what he does. This guy would fit in with our group quite nicely.)

Personally, I like to brew a fresh pot just for myself using this setup every morning, but that's because I can. More Fringe benefits of the restaurant lifestyle: my setup comes with a big ol Lavazza espresso machine available within 12 inches of the coffee pot, (a shot in the dark for those rough mornings!)

I'm not ashamed to admit that I have drank some pretty stank coffee (Diamond is the worst). I used to plow through Folgers by the gallon on graveyard shifts.

I am, however, pragmatic.

I use a Mr. Coffee maker for low end grinds but if I am going to make a pot of hoity-toity brew I use a Chemex set up, distilled or R.O. water and a glass boiling kettle. Chemex filters make for a smooth, clean finished product.

Be ready to devote 30 minutes to making coffee in a Chemex. If you gotta get to work, crank up the Mr. Coffee. :)

Creamer destroys good coffee and milk/cream can make skunk coffee not-so-bad.

Just switched to Chemex from French Press after the doctor told me my cholesterol results. Yeah, unfiltered coffee will raise it. I use to own a coffee shop and got all the research. Chemex makes a fine brew. Bought a 1.5L Chemex but typically just do 1L. Only issue I have is trying to get my target 1L in 4 minutes. After 4 minutes it tends to over extract and get bitter off-flavors.

Roast my own coffee on a Brohmer I just bought. Fantastic roaster. I can do up to a LB but typically do 3/4lb at a time. Allows me to slow roast and hit 1st crack around 18 minute mark. Fantastic machine.

Nice to see you use the Chemex with a water kettle. Good Ol' Mr. Coffee does not get the water hot enough for a good extraction.

Yep, I bring the water to a boil then turn the stove to medium heat.

I also turn the folded part of the filter towards the channel. It keeps the filter from forming a vacuum, which slows the process down.

Chemex is a good system for sure.

OK, coffee geek checking in... have to agree with most of the responses, although disappointed that "Mr Coffee" came up at all :x I'll just add this: if you really want fresh roasted coffee, you need to roast your own; not as expensive or difficult as it might sound, although, like pipe smoking, it can be if you want it to be. Anyone interested in this endeavor should visit www.sweetmarias.com They have a great selection of roasters, as well as brewing equipment and green coffee. No, I do not work there - just been buying from them for years. You will be amazed at what truly fresh roasted coffee smells like. :tongue:

Never tried a French press. Will say, though, that, though I love fresh ground beans and have tried many roasters, have found that I don't like the coffee I end up with any better than ground, canned Cafe Bustelo I pick up for less than $4 per can. Do use a drip Bunn with distilled water which no doubt helps provide better flavor than another type of drip machine and water out of the tap. Earl

Another vote for a french press. Simple Bodum one is fine... get a bag of fresh beans, grind them coarse... steep for 4 minutes and then press. Perfect.