Help Please...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganScott

Reaction score
Please be kind to me... I just got my first flake cut, (MAC BAREN "navy flake"). Anyway it's packed fairly tightly into a tin in ribbons.
How do you load a pipe with this?

Some fold it in half lengthwise then widthwise the stuff it in the pipe. I prefer to rub the flake out between the palms of my hands. You can find several discussions in the Pipe Techniques forum. Also MacBaren has a tutorial that you can find easy enough via google, which deals specifically with their Navy Flake.

Break the flakes up into thin ribbons (i.e., rub out), rough it up and stuff the bacca in the pipe, or stuff-n-fold, sir. Find out what works for ya. 8)

I recently got my first tin of flake cut tobacco as well - MacBaren Vanilla Cream flake.

I've been using sharp scissors to cut the flakes across the grain, so that it falls apart into tiny pieces. I believe this method is called "cubing".

I then gravity fill my pipe with the small cubes, tamp down gently and smoke as normal.

The draw seems very very loose until the cap of ash forms on top, but after that the draw, flavor, and burn seem to work just fine.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for responding so quickly with the tips. I watched the video from the site, and they said you could either break it up and smoke it lose or to get a fuller flavor fold it, bend it and smoke it in it's flake form... I'll try both ways.

Thanks again.

For myself, I usually take my flakes and rub them out as completely as I can, and the pack 'em in layers in my pipe and smoke. This method works best for my taste, everyone has different methods, some per blend/mixture of Flake and per pipe. Take your time, try some different ways and see what suits you best.

I usually rub it out, everytime I try the "fold" method I have bad luck. I guess it takes practice.

Well I tried my hand at the "Fold" method with the Navy Flake.
I am utterly shocked it worked the first time for me. And I had a very enjoyable drive home.

I was alarmed at first because the draw seemed too loose or light, I kept thinking it was about to go out because if I had a regular loose tobacco packed bowl it would be way to loose and would go out, but this went great. After about 45 minutes or so it did go out, probably because I was talking on the phone a lot and not paying attention to it, but a light tamp and quick and easy re-light and I was good for another twenty minutes or so.
BTW I still had a quite a bit of useable tobacco left in the bowl, at least an additional 20 minutes.

As for the tobacco, it was a pretty good smoke; it was a lot lighter/milder than I expected, but enjoyable none the less.

Hay that's awesome, we knew you would get it...sounds like you had better luck then me...LOL

I find the fold-n-stuff method to work okay provided it isn't done with too much gusto.

Hey! hard to argue with success, 'specialy on the first try. I usually use the fold n' stuff method for flakes outside and the rub it out method inside. Pure habit. I'd claim it's because the breeze helps keep the ember smoldering outdoors, but it's just as likely personal pref.