Help sought for a grand project

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al in Canada

Reaction score
I am thinking of an experiment , based on the theory that each of us have different taste receptors and different responses to those tastes. For this reason I like all types of pickles, but prefer sweet pickles, and my wife prefers dill pickles. She will make tuna salad with dill pickle relish, and I with sweet pickle relish.

Now if one could devise a questionnaire which determined which distinctive flavors one liked in food and drink, would that correlate with whether one preferred latakia over perique, etc. I don't know how big a problem this would be, I don't even know what "taste" questions to ask yet, or how to set up the co-relations with the various tobacco blend tastes, but I can certainly see the eventual value.

If we could develop a data base that said that if you liked red sauces over white in Italian cooking, bourbon over scotch, and sweet pickles over dill, etc. then you will prefer this blend over that.

And if you went to Tobacco Reviews and each reviewer had a coded taste bias, then you could know which reviews were most likely to agree with your own.

An ambitious project to say the least, but one I have been thinking about for a couple of months, trying to think through the problems, and what will be needed in the way of skills that I don't possess. And a boon to all of us, as I fear the day of true "tobacconist" in any but the largest cities, is limited, as the laws make it harder and harder to run a smoker friendly shop.

I am looking for input from someone aware of the parameters of "taste", and someone with the ability to set up the co-relationship parameters.

the object of this is not to define the "one" tobacco for each smoker, but to define where we would be most comfortable within the spectrum of each type. Do we want latakia as a: slightly discernible condiment, a featured player, or the star of the show? etc.

I don't know how practical this is, but I would appreciate any input you could make.

I will be posting this elsewhere, for I think it goes beyond the limits of any given board, and applies in some way to all of us, whether we smoke s. Bangs or humble cobs.

Al (in Canada)

An ambitious project to say the least ?,,,I'm afraid you're the master of understatement,,,,The list of possible variables alone is staggering,,,but don't think I'm making an attempt to discourage you in your quest,,,It might be interesting if you post your initial parameters as food for thought,,, sensitivity to the PH of the different tobaccos based on diet preference,,,,tar and nicotene content acceptability related to the daily change in mouth chemistry derived from the previous meal/ beverage,,,,

Alas,I have lost my sense of smell to a large degree and sense of taste along with it.
It is oncoming Dementia or my wife puts hot sauce on all the food she cooks and that
could cause it.I'm sure it's not all the nasal snuff I use.

Winslow :bounce: