help with 1st pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy65

Reaction score
Ok so I went to the tobacco store to get more flint for my zippo. I wend a head and bought a cheap fishtail pipe, packing tool, and some cherry pipe tobacco. I have tried but I just cant seem to keep the pipe light. I use my zippo, which i am loving, and I can get it going for about 5 min but no longer! I need all the advice that you guys can give me!

and any other ideas or suggestions would be helpful too!

Thanks!
Andrew

Pack like the 3 bears. Loosely put the tobacco in the bowl, and lightly press down. Loosely fill the bowl again, and press a little harder this time down into the bowl. Loosely fill the bowl again and firmly press down the third time. The tobacco should be a bit bouncy.

Don't forget the char light. Light once, get a good smoke going for a minute or so, the tobacco should rise up a bit. Tamp it down pretty well and then relight it. Properly packed most tobaccos will let you smoke it a good long while, as long as they are not too moist.

Hopefully this helps quite a bit. It was the charm for me back in the day!

Sounds like packing issue to me also. But check if your tobacco is too goopy as arromatics have a tendency to do so. If so, let it dry out.

Like someone mentioned: pack it in 3 steps. Fill it loosely and press so that tobacco is about 1/3 of the bowl. Loosely fill again and press to 2/3. Fill a third time and press a little firmer. Try not to pack it even with the rim or you could char the rim. So your pipe should be like 3/4 from the bottom.

Don't give up! When you get it, it's Heaven, man!

Heaven!

I got it to stay for about 30 min tonight! HEAVEN ON EARTH!! I sat on my porch and just zoned out. I LOVE it! I KNOW the stuff I got is not that good but OMG that was good! Now, I need a job so I can get a few more pipes and tobaccos! And I thought RAD and BAD was bad!! (b&b guys will get that)

andy65":vu7etwzx said:
I got it to stay for about 30 min tonight! HEAVEN ON EARTH!! I sat on my porch and just zoned out. I LOVE it! I KNOW the stuff I got is not that good but OMG that was good! Now, I need a job so I can get a few more pipes and tobaccos! And I thought RAD and BAD was bad!! (b&b guys will get that)
Oh heavens, yes. This stuff is much more expensive!!! I too am totally in love with my new hobby. The first few smokes were a hassle for me, keeping the pipe lit and all that. Now I get through about 2/3 of the bowl with one light.

(And the Significant Other Risk Effect (SORE) of the pipe can also be a tough one to overcome.) (I just made that one up.)

You can get bulk tobacco like Peter Stokkebye for $25 a pound. Maybe that would be more cost effective for you.
Pipes are a good way to relax after getting beaten up all day at work.

I did it again! nice 30 min smoke after dinner! I need to find better tobacco!

andy65":zeyzj9rp said:
I did it again! nice 30 min smoke after dinner! I need to find better tobacco!
As Stefanos said, try some Peter Stokkebye. I'd recommend the Virginia Longcut from them. It is a great tobacco that stays lit and is pretty inexpensive. It tastes great too.

I would recommend you start with a tobacco like Carter Hall or Prince Albert, get comfortable with your packing and technique, and then venture out into the world of tobaccos.