HELP with a Mastro de Papa!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew

Reaction score
Hello brothers,

A dear friend of mine gifted me a lovely Mastro de Papa pipe, and .... I don't know how to use it and am having a hard time finding any info on the net.

Here is the Pipe:

When smoked, it tends to get a bit stopped up. I took it apart and found that is has some kind of insert inside it. I don't know what it is, and if it is a spacer for a filter or just part of the pipe:

If pulled hard, it will slide out. I don't know if Im supposed to smoke it with or without the insert, or if the insert is supposed to hold a filter or ... what. Nor do I know how to properly clean a pipe with this system.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really love this pipe but do not want to ruin it.

Thanks!

I have no first-hand familiarity with it but yours looks like a filter pipe --
made for the European (especially German) market where pipes are
expected to come with filters.

The insert would be for smoking it normally (without the filter).

Just how its made.

:face:

That's a 9mm filter adapter. Theoretically it should come out unless its been glued in.

Hmmm.....I'm sure there is a way to get it out, but you'll have to be careful not to damage the tenon.

Ah, looks like a 9mm adapter to me. Some of 'em fight quite tight, but are usually held in by a rubber "O" ring toward the aft end.

Filter pipes give me problems...try poppin' that sucker out somehow and smokin' on your merry way. It's a good lookin' pipe.

8)

Ocelot55":721yucqw said:
That's a 9mm filter adapter. Theoretically it should come out unless its been glued in.

Hmmm.....I'm sure there is a way to get it out, but you'll have to be careful not to damage the tenon.
It will come out, it just takes a bit of effort. It's snug.

Can I use Savinelli 9mm filters? Or do I have to get the gross Dr. Grabow or other kind?

Thanks gentlemen!!

Matthew":gg55od3c said:
Ocelot55":gg55od3c said:

Can I use Savinelli 9mm filters? Or do I have to get the gross Dr. Grabow or other kind?

Thanks gentlemen!!
You can use the 9mm balsa filters or try it without the adapter. I've done it both ways in my Sav's that use 'em and they smoke fine either way for me. I prefer w/out myself.

monbla256":41di9cg9 said:
Matthew":41di9cg9 said:
Ocelot55":41di9cg9 said:

Thanks gentlemen!!
You can use the 9mm balsa filters or try it without the adapter. I've done it both ways in my Sav's that use 'em and they smoke fine either way for me. I prefer w/out myself.
Any risk in gunking the thing up by smoking the pipe without either? I give my pipes a rather thorough alcohol cleaning about once a month or so.

Matthew":76uqwuuc said:
monbla256":76uqwuuc said:
Matthew":76uqwuuc said:
Ocelot55":76uqwuuc said:

Thanks gentlemen!!
Any risk in gunking the thing up by smoking the pipe without either? I give my pipes a rather thorough alcohol cleaning about once a month or so.
No more than what they "gunk" up with what your smoking now. Just do as you have found to work for you! Using a pipe w/wo filter does not effect it's "gunking' WHAT and HOW you smoke has more to do with that. :p

monbla256":alkgopbs said:
Matthew":alkgopbs said:
monbla256":alkgopbs said:
Matthew":alkgopbs said:
Ocelot55":alkgopbs said:

Thanks gentlemen!!
No more than what they "gunk" up with what your smoking now. Just do as you have found to work for you! Using a pipe w/wo filter does not effect it's "gunking' WHAT and HOW you smoke has more to do with that. :p

Muchos gracias. I'm a lover of the non-gunky tobaccos and am a slow-as-hell smoker so I don't think I have much to worry about. :cheers:

Matthew,

The name of the maker is Mastro de Paja.

Like others have said, the insert fills-in the place of the filter for those that want to smoke a more conventional pipe, without a filter. There's nothing wrong with a filter, and you may want to try it just to see how it works for you. The insert, however, can make cleaning the pipe a bit nasty. That's because gunky fluids will accumulate around the insert. They may even make the adapter stick to the stem. I've had bad experiences with this kind of insert, mostly because it offers no discernible advantage, but it can make cleaning the pipe a very gross proposition (well, cleaning pipes is already gross, this just makes it grosser). I would suggest you remove it, even if you don't want to use filters. But the best is for you to try everything first (with and without filter, with and without insert) and decide what works best for you. Good luck with your nice pipe.

Congrats on a nice Mastro. Castello and Mastro de Paja are my two favorite Italian makers. Toss out that adapter and puff away like others have suggested, you will really enjoy that baby. :cheers:

Nice Pipe! I've got 3 Mastro's and they are all mighty fine pipes.

femur":rnvt7juf said:
Nice Pipe! I've got 3 Mastro's and they are all mighty fine pipes.
Huzzah!

I've got but one, and it's one of my most favorite smokers.

Looks something like this, only mine has a silver band on the strummel-

002-025-0978.jpg

In fact I'm smoking it right now with some P&W #78!

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

MisterE":kwcfj11i said:
In España, un maestro de paja would be outrageously funny. It's like saying "wank master" for us. :roll:
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: