Help with a name

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like Mae. Has a beautiful classic ring to it. Don't like Joplin but she's not my daughter and I'm not the one raising her. My wife is due next month and I can understand where you're coming from... Everyone has an opinion on names!

Fr_Tom":vk1wpepu said:
Congrats!

My counsel would be not to run names by too many people. You can get feedback that poisons the well. We discovered this early. Who knew that Aunt Louise always thought Uncle Bill was jerk and treated women poorly, etc.? When people demanded to be told, we would say we had a number of names in mind. Boutros Boutros-Ghali was high on the list, but we were still looking for the right one.

Aniother issue to bear in mind is that if the child does not like the name, he/she will just start going by some new one. My 15 yo is doing that now. It gives her something to talk to the therapist about.
My wife and I chose to keep the names of our daughters private to avoid poisoning the well. Once the child is born no one with an ounce of consideration will criticize the name, they will only see the child and the name takes on a new meaning and a new beginning.

The bigger reason we kept the name private was ritual. We liked the idea of only stating the name in public after telling our daughters first. "Welcome to our family ______. We've waited a long time to meet you."

Well... I wouldn't ask this bunch any sort of advice about names. Just look at their user names! I mean, "Wet Dottle:" what kind of a looser would pick such a handle for a pipe smoking forum???

wetdottle":z1dusicp said:
Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:26 pm    

Well... I wouldn't ask this bunch any sort of advice about names. Just look at their user names! I mean, "Wet Dottle:" what kind of a looser would pick such a handle for a pipe smoking forum???

hahahahahaha

well I never thought of that