Help with a Porcelain Pipe (I think)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Max

Reaction score
I was at The Country Squire today and JD asked me to find out what kind of pipe this thing is. It looks and feels like porcelain bu I want to make sue that is even a real thing. Here are some pictures:

This is the whole pipe

2013-05-17135623_zpsedcdce12.jpg

This is the bowl and shank

2013-05-17135705_zpsb763f24e.jpg

This is the fuzzy writing on it

2013-05-17135721_zps00bf6675.jpg

And this is the bowl. The draw hole goes straight down; not something I'm familiar with.

2013-05-17135743_zps9366642e.jpg

Anyone familiar with this type pipe? I'm wondering how it will smoke and also, what it's made of.

Max, your pipe is most likely ceramic. I have a few of the Zenith Christmas ceramic pipes, but I have never smoked any of them, so I can't relate the smoking qualities. I have read that they are similar to clay pipes in their smoking qualities. If I am not mistaken, I believe Zenith made the Mokum line as well.

There were several of them in a box and one was named Zenith so that must be it.

I'll report back about the smoke after I do some further investigation.

Good evening,

The pipe you showed is definitiv a Zenith. It belongs to one of the series that were produced by van der Want, in Gouda, the Netherlands. They are made of clay and are almost simular to the Danish Royal Porcelain Pipes. The difference is the material, clay instead of porcelain, and the design.
Van der Want ended in in the middle of 80's with the production of Zenith pipes. If you are interested in some pictures of the Zenith pipes take a look on the site of a museum in Amsterdam. The text on the site is unfortunaly in Dutch.

http://www.pijpenkabinet.nl/Smokiana/04-Zenith.html

Those double-walled clays (clays, porcelain, ceramic, whatever they are) actually smoke quite nicely and produce a very cool smoke. I was enamored with them at one time but I haven't smoked one in quite a while; guess I ought to get them out! The two on the right are single-walled:

I also have this double-walled "calabash", one of the series that Troost used to offer:

I sold a small collection on ebay a while back for a friend who no longer smokes; one of them looked very similar to yours. Hope you enjoy it! (Oops; I see it may not be yours. Well, I hope SOMEBODY enjoys it :D !)

Goodmorning,

If you are interested in these pipes and you would like to have such a pipe. I have some unsmoked models, so if you are interested send me a PM

Gerrit Jan