Help with a WDC Wellington pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handsome Dynamite

Reaction score
As a Christmas present, I got some pipe racks and a box of estate pipes. Bulk were Dr. Grabows and Medicos from the '60s. There was a nice one I cleaned up, then I started on a full-bend WDC Wellington. On the metal band is the inverted triangle with WDC in it, and then the symbols (in order); an anchor, a star and then an eagle. Anyone have any idea what this means? I'm assuming it's the year or era. I haven't been able to find anything on the internet. I'm hoping one of you know something about thiss

Hallmarking and company logos do fascinate.

From Pipedia - WDC:
In 1862 William established his own company. The William Demuth Company specialized in pipes, smoker's requisites, cigar-store figures, canes and other carved objects.
Demuth pipes continued to be made at the Richmond Hill plant till December 31. 1972. Then the Wm. Demuth Company met its official end as a subsidiary company by liquidation. Demuth's mainstay pipe, the Wellington continued to be offered in the S.M. Frank catalog until 1976. In the mid-80's, the Wellington even made a brief return as a direct to the consumer offer.

As for the markings I do not know, couldn't find anything specifically detailing the anchor, star, eagle combination.
If you haven't already, have look yourself at this site:
pipephil.eu

I'd hazard a guess those may be "faux" hallmarks similar to the ones Petersons uses on some of their nickle bands, but again I don't really know.

Doesn't answer your question but here's an old thread from this forum! WDC thread here on BoB

Thanks Krusty. I found some of that info. But with the hallmarks, while they may me faux, I saw a number of other Wellington pipes with different ones, so while it may not be silver on the band (I know it's not unless someone has just been cleaning the band xD) it still may give me a date.

Oh old pipes, why must you take up so much of my time

Well, good luck in your search for the info.
Don't be remiss in posting any particulars you may find out!
The histories and backstories are always of interest!!!

I have about 30 of the large Wellingtons in my collection now and another half dozen WDC Jumbos. Of these with the nickel-plated brass bands (all but about 6), they all have the same three symbols. The only exception is that some have the WDC triangle in addition to the symbols and some of the ones I presume to be the oldest (based on condition and quality of briar) do not have the WDC triangle on the band, only the three figures.

How are you coming along with restoring the pipe?

Not really any help here, but I have one Wellington my Grandad bought sometime in the fifties. The band has no markings, other than Nickel Plate over Made in U.S.A.