help with blending tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertw1249

Reaction score
hi all need some help what is a good Black Cavendish for mixing i wanted to try mixing some Black Cavendish and some Virginia tobacco i have i like the Black Cavendish that in haddo's delight but i dont know if all black cavendish is the same thanks for all the help

C&D has at least two. A sweetened and an unsweetened. I have never ordered it. But I have a lot of blends using them. Give them a call. Tell them what you want to do. Their web site has nearly everything listed that is available.

thanks carlos i will do you know if the black cavendish in haddo's delight is that a sweet or unsweet cavendish

ok thanks carlos im going to give C&D all call about the black cavendish it looks like thats the only place that i can get it from thanks for the help

Robert, the folks at C&D are top shelf! They will be very helpful.

thanks mark do you know if the black cavendish in haddo's delight is sweet or unsweet cavendish

robertw1249":g0tiwr7n said:
thanks mark do you know if the black cavendish in haddo's delight is sweet or unsweet cavendish
Probably sweetened. The cavendish I use was purchased at a local shop in SA. I've used 1 pound in like 10 years, but I don't blend much. I have sweetened pound left which is good straight or blended with VA.

I sometimes mix it with burley too, which many people turn their noses up at.

Despite the label, I have to ask if there's any such thing as "unsweetened" cavendish, as it's understanding that cavendish is by definition a sweetened tobacco (although there might be differences between the types of sweeteners used and the stage of the tobacco preparation process where it's added). I've read some interesting discussions on different boards about this, and it seems to me as though there's some confusion about it ....

i dont really know if there is im still learning about this stuff but on C&D site when i look at the black cavendish its said it was unsweetened thats why im asking ? about it i did know if cavendish was already a sweet tobacco or they added some thing to make it sweet thanks for all the help guys

Robert,

When you order the cavendish from C&D you might want to try some of their Winchester Blend (#456) too. It's a blend of VA and unsweetened black cavendish that I smoke, especially for breaking in new pipes. To the best of my memory it's the same black cavendish used in Haddo's.

Jim

C&D generally uses and sells unsweetened black cavendish. It's one of my favorites when trying to soften and level out a blend. Since cavendish is a process which brings out the sugars in tobacco, and not a tobacco per se, cavendish tobaccos can be additionally sweetened w/ a casing or topping. Unsweetened black cavendish works fine w/o extra sugar.

Thank you Morleysson. I knew someone that would know would give us a good answer.

Additionally. C&D has recently offered up a mistake version. Called Murphy's Mistake. There may yet be some tins left. Sweetened black Cavendish was used in place of unsweetened. I opened a tin right away. It reminds me of a very good blend we all know. But with the sweetened black Cavendish, it tastes amazingly similar to Frog Morton, for me.